Another Shot Size Thread

MNMEAD

Say a fella’s got about a half dozen boxes of 1.25oz steel 1’s he bought for geese that he's never going to use. If he didn’t wish to give a newer hunter/poor shot a box of Boss shells, and he hands them a box of 1’s with the loaner gun, is he being a cheap ass? Are those 1’s doing his wife (again this is purely hypothetical for a friend) a disservice or will the 130 or so pellets still do just fine? I’m not sure if the extra 45 pellets found in Boss 4’s would make enough of a difference to mean dropping a bird or not, and the fella in question doesn’t want to diminish an opportunity for the first bird just to save a few bones. Asking for a friend, all opinions welcome.

My opinion is I want 150 pellets minimum, but part of the reason for that is I want sufficient pattern density for 45-50 yd shots. 130 pellets, assuming a decent pattern, will probably be just fine to 35 yards or so, maybe even 40. But she's gotta make sure to not use too open a choke. Obviously 45/130 is 35%, which would be a significant increase.

Ok the ruse is up, I'm the fella in question. I've got a half box of 3's we'll use up as well and I guess I won't be cheap. After all, I do have a case and a half of bismuth. Being new and knowing her shooting limitations, I have struggled to get her to swing on birds past about 30. Part of that is due to distance recognition though. She's very good about playing it safe and not launching shot at far birds, which seems to be the opposite of most other non-hunters I've taken in the past. Mod choke with 3's or Bis 4's will do the trick if the bead is in the correct spot. I like to choke tight so I give the first shot to her if possible and take an extra moment to settle in.

Just tighten the pattern a little and the overall density will be adequate, you wont be able to shoot an IC choke at 35 yards and expect dead birds every time as the shot count just isnt there. Overchoking is a thing with #2+ steel also, so be aware. Once you get too tight it will blow out and make a mess of a blotchy pattern, sometimes a mod will pattern tighter than a full.

Ive shot them with steel 1s though after/during a goose/duck hunt, steel BB also. Theyll certainly work. I wouldnt go buying boss before you try what you have, unless your shot distances are going to be 35+.

Ok the ruse is up, I'm the fella in question. I've got a half box of 3's we'll use up as well and I guess I won't be cheap. After all, I do have a case and a half of bismuth. Being new and knowing her shooting limitations, I have struggled to get her to swing on birds past about 30. Part of that is due to distance recognition though. She's very good about playing it safe and not launching shot at far birds, which seems to be the opposite of most other non-hunters I've taken in the past. Mod choke with 3's or Bis 4's will do the trick if the bead is in the correct spot. I like to choke tight so I give the first shot to her if possible and take an extra moment to settle in.

If she wont shoot past 30 she certainly doesn't need bismuth, and definitely not bismuth 3-4. Bismuth 6s would be plenty, or steel 4s. A 12ga load of bismuth 3s/4s at sub 30 yards sounds like an inedible bird, they are when i hit them with my 20ga 4s that close. Ic choke and the steel 3s sounds like the best option by far

Back