Another IL Newbie

Steve g

Hello from Western Suburbs of Chicago
Used this site for pheasant recipes and started reading some of the forums and thought this would be a good fit. Grew up on a farm in Central IL, been in corporate world 28 years and started getting back into hunting a few (5 or 6) years ago. Go to SD once a year - have a 2 1/2 year old GSP "Ike" have a blog called "Cooking with Ike" http://cookingwithike.blogspot.com/ and shoot a few clays as well.

Welcome to the site from another Illinois guy. What area are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I live in the Naperville area.

Okay. I have relatives in that area. When visiting my dad and I would take drives just outside of town. We saw plenty of wild pheasants on pre-developed areas. They liked the un maintained un developed lots.

Unfortunately, as you know, those days are long gone around there.

Again, welcome to the site;)

Welcome aboard Steve. I lived in the Naperville area not too long ago and moved my office from 59 and 95th St recently.

Thanks Mike - Live not too far from your old office location... :) Do you ever go up to Richmond hunting? I have heard good things about that area.

1pheas4 - I agree I am afraid those days are gone - I see more coyotes than anything else - in fact given the bursting of the real estate bubble there are a number of open lots (commercial and residential) around highway 30 but no birds :) but did see a couple of wild turkeys there about 2 years ago.

So far I like the site- nice people
Steve

Welcome and thanks for the info about your blog. Nice looking GSP.

Thanks

Thanks Britchaser - the blog is a whim on my part but the puppy is sure spoiled so thank you for the kind words. I assume by your handle you hunt with Brits and have found them to be very easy to hunt behind - stay close and good noses...
Steve

There are a lot of hunting clubs in the area (one good one near me) that are good for really efficient dog training/practice. These clubs have all sorts of cover ranging from standing milo, phragmites, unbroken prairie, combo cover, etc.

Last edited:
Back