An idea

I am big on helping out charities, and with this economy, they need help. I have read a few posts in which Texas Hold 'Em was discussed. I am an avid player and wonder if the people here would be interested in setting up a charity tournament of some kind? Might be a good way to get the UPH name out there, get everyone from this site together, and raise money for charity. Those of us who lose out can sit around and discuss hunting, I never get enough of that. Just a thought!

Not a bad idea. I'm afraid our geographical seperation may be a factor though. Someday we may have UPH chapters assigned by geography for hunting groups and gatherings. If you were to hold a tournament within a reasonable distance (2 hrs) I'd certainly come. What types of charitable organizations were you thinking about?

I am really big into working with disadvantaged youth. I donate to organizations that provide hunting opportunities to disadvantaged youth. That's some of what I was thinking.

I too enjoy helping charities when I can and had an idea a few months ago. I was trying to think of a way to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. I got an idea from reading the UPH posts from current and former members of the military. I thought of calling it "UPH Hunters for Heroes" or something along those lines. My thought was that each person could donate a certain amount of money for each animal harvested throughout the season and donate it to the WWP. An individual could could put a "bounty" (for lack of a better term) on each wild pheasant, grouse, deer, elk, moose, turkey, etc. Each person sets their own amount and it is completely on the Honor System. For instance, because of where I live, the only pheasants I hunt are in So. Dak. and my limit would be 15. I would pledge $2.00 per pheasant per year and that would total $30. I would pledge $2 for every ruffed grouse and $1 for every woodcock. I would also pledge $10 for a turkey and $20 for a deer. People who have the opportunity to hunt more often can do a dime or quarter per bird and $2 per deer or whatever. Each hunter makes their own decions. In my case, a great year I would be donating less than $200. That's less than what we all spend on guns, boots, vests, etc. If we got 100 people donating $200, that's alot of money (and good P.R.) People who are a little better off may pledge $20 per bird and $100 per deer. If it did take off I know a local banker through the Ruffed Grouse Society that I could ask to set up a trust or something. Webguy may have a better option or any banker or accountant on the site. Or everyone could just donate directly to the Wounded Warriors but I think it would be good to get UPH and hunters the publicity. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and believe it could grow to other hunting and fishing orgs. and we could raise a lot of money for the men and women who protect our way of life and passions.
I'm sorry to steal the thread from its intention.

Back