Amazing Winter

cyclonenation10

I'm not sure about the rest of the state, but here in Central Iowa I can't remember a better winter that we've had. There hasn't been snow on the ground for more than a few days at a time, and it's been very minimal. Tons of cover left and anything we get from here on out the birds will be 100% going into, and shouldn't really have much of an impact.

Reply to Amazing Winter Thread

Well cyclonenation10, hold on to your hat because it is about to get wild here in NC Iowa. The weather is always so interesting here in Iowa, the last few days record warmth and today a blizzard warning and I just saw a flash of lightning followed by a thunder clap.

I have seen thousands of ducks and geese working there way south this week. A wet land area 1/8th of a mile east of my place has several hundred ducks and geese swimming around. The snow pack in the yard and ditches all gone and the grass in the yard even started to green up. You are right this has been an amazing winter. It sounds like the 10-12" of snow in the forecast won't last long they are talking 40's next week.

Nc glad you said water fowl are flying south. I was thru western edge of Iowa Monday and wondered if all the snows we saw had even went south this year. Saw thousands of them along I29. Never saw any movement in my area of Missouri around lake of the ozarks. Talked to friends in sek and they really never saw many all winter.

turtle: I should do a better job of looking over my work my work. That was a Freudian slip they were going north not south. Thanks for proof reading and setting me straight.

So what's the deal? You guys in NC IA get clobbered with snow Thursday-Saturday? We got about 8" here in NC Wisconsin. There's been nothing in the southern half of the state for a while.

Amazing Winter Reply to Thread

Ranger Rick - Yes, NC Iowa got about 8" on the ground where I am located south of Mason City . Started out with thunder rain, then sleet, then rain, then hail, then thunder snow and lots of wind. It was one doozy of a storm. It warmed up pretty good yesterday & today and is melting pretty fast. I don't think it will impact the pheasant population but we will see.

Back