Affinity 20 Gauge Ammo Issue

Labs

View attachment 8979
After several hundred rounds of break-in, my Affinity 20 gauge Upland Elite still will not reliably cycle Golden Pheasant and Prairie Storm either 2-3/4" or 3". The pic shows a fired hull after extracted after failure to cycle with a ring in front of the rim. Prior to firing, both GP and PS shells have a brass diameter of .695, after firing, the diameter is .700-.701.5. That much expansion is easily enough to screw up cycling in a tight chamber so it would seem that is the issue. My thought is to hunt with loads it likes (Super Pheasant, Premium Upland, and the economy Federal Dakota Country are all available out here and work fine), then have the chamber checked and polished during the winter. I'm curious if any one else has experienced a tight chamber issue or failure to cycle a specific make of shell with an Affinity 20 gauge?

Attachments

• PS 20 Hull.jpg
    PS 20 Hull.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I had an issue with my son's Franchi 48 AL in 20 gauge. It would shoot everything we put in it except certain Federal reloads. We would buy Federal target loads that have the same type of hull in your picture. I reloaded 3 boxes into a pheasant load and the reloader was within specs as I would check powder and shot every so often. The reloads looked perfect with nice crimps but about 1 out of every 3 to 5 would jam up his gun. I could not figure out what the issue was as all the other factory and reloads that we have run through that gun (Remington, Winchester, Fiochi hulls) would cycle flawlessly. Those few boxes of Federal reloads I ended up using some in a Franchi O/U and had no issues with but they did not like a Franchi semi. I still have some laying around so I'll have to check the brass for a similar ring and take some measurements. I ended up saving the shells that were giving us issues and they cycled through a friends Benelli or Beretta just fine. And funny enough, the handful that did work in his gun and were patterned, patterned perfectly.

View attachment 8979
After several hundred rounds of break-in, my Affinity 20 gauge Upland Elite still will not reliably cycle Golden Pheasant and Prairie Storm either 2-3/4" or 3". The pic shows a fired hull after extracted after failure to cycle with a ring in front of the rim. Prior to firing, both GP and PS shells have a brass diameter of .695, after firing, the diameter is .700-.701.5. That much expansion is easily enough to screw up cycling in a tight chamber so it would seem that is the issue. My thought is to hunt with loads it likes (Super Pheasant, Premium Upland, and the economy Federal Dakota Country are all available out here and work fine), then have the chamber checked and polished during the winter. I'm curious if any one else has experienced a tight chamber issue or failure to cycle a specific make of shell with an Affinity 20 gauge?

Well the brass (steel) always swells to the chamber size upon firing in every gun with every shell. I dont see why those shells would hang up when others work fine, especially both 2.75 and 3". Especially considering you say other fed shells work fine as all current fed 20ga use the same hull (except HOA target). The brass swelling isnt a cause though.

Is it hanging up ejecting the empty or putting a new one in?

Back