A Story Retold: Bull Calf in a Swimming Pool

BritChaser

Five of us from all over the west were taking a line through some milo stalks when the farmer's son came along the road honking and waving us over. We turned out of the field and asked him what was up. "We need help. We got a calf in a swimming pool over here." Swimming pool? We're in the middle of nowhere in western Kansas! We loaded up and went to the next section to an abandoned farmstead. Sure enough, there was an in-ground concrete pool with deep and shallow ends, and there stood a black bull calf in the foot of green slime in the deep end. Apparently he had fallen in in the dark of night. We scrounged up a rope, threw it around the critter's neck, and got him out of the deep end into the dry shallow end. Then we pushed him over into the corner. He was docile, maybe worn out, a good thing since he had sharp horns. We put his front hooves over the edge of the pool and put a post under his hind quarters, fulcrumed it on the edge of the pool and gave the heave-ho to lift him. When his hind quarters were high enough we shoved him over onto the ground. Then he became the ornery critter he really was, taking two hunters for a heel skate as they hung on to the rope around his neck. We finally got the rope off him and he hopped over the hot wire to rejoin his herd. Cowhands? Hardly. A broker, real estate agent, journalist, judge, and lawyer.

Last edited:
Maybe it's Kansas? My buddy and I secured permission on a large tract. It was mainly short pasture, so we were in search mode, climbing to the top of the biggest hills looking for some cover. At the top of a hill, we saw a flatbed from some distance coming our way. We were wondering if we were in the wrong place and was getting ready to get our buts chewed. We called the dogs in and waited for them. When they pulled up we saw it was a guy and two kids, maybe 12 to 14 a boy and girl. Deer season was in (won't do that again) so wasn't surprised that they had three rifles in the back widow rack. After chatting a while the guy said he knew where there were a bunch of pheasants, hop on the back and they would take use there. After a bit of ride, we came over a hill and there was the tallest thickest switchgrass patch a 1/2 mile long and 100 yards wide. They dumped us off and said he would pick us up on the other end. They drove off and my buddy said wow what a nice guy. I said not really, they are using us for a deer drive. To this day, I've never seen a switch grass patch that tall and thick, I swear some of it was 10 foot tall. My buddy's setter tracked a rooster to his side edge and killed it. I could hear birds getting up but couldn't see them. Then the rifles cut loose, at least 10-12 shots. By the time we emerged they had 2 does and a buck already loaded up. We found a couple places on the flat bed without blood and hoped back on. They took use back to where we were, and everybody was all smiles except me. I was just thankful that I didn't hear bullets whizzing by!

"Maybe it's Kansas?" Haha could be ;)

I've got a Kansas bull story myself. Brother in law and I shared a herd of cows and were leasing my grandpas pasture. Pasture had a rock quarry in part of it, 40 foot side walls on 3 sides of it with a good fishing hole in the bottom. We had just bought a brand new $$$$ Beefmaster bull. Brother in law drops it off one evening. Dad calls us the next day. "I can't find your bull, I've ridden all the fences, looked in neighbors pastures, looked everywhere, I can't find it". I come over, we go round and round and round looking for it. I leave to go back to work. Bro in law gets down there, calls me an hour later. "found our bull, he is in the bottom of the quarry"

Insurance covering him paid for theft and drowning. He fell off the 40' quarry wall and landed on a pile of rocks at the botttom, 5' from the waters edge.

My uncle said to us "you know, I have had a lot of ugly cows in that pasture in my life, but I never had any so bad that the bull took one look at them and killed himself within hours of being let out with them".

Like a buddy of mine said, "everybody ought to go broke in the cattle business at least once in their lifetime"

I've got a Kansas bull story myself. Brother in law and I shared a herd of cows and were leasing my grandpas pasture. Pasture had a rock quarry in part of it, 40 foot side walls on 3 sides of it with a good fishing hole in the bottom. We had just bought a brand new $$$$ Beefmaster bull. Brother in law drops it off one evening. Dad calls us the next day. "I can't find your bull, I've ridden all the fences, looked in neighbors pastures, looked everywhere, I can't find it". I come over, we go round and round and round looking for it. I leave to go back to work. Bro in law gets down there, calls me an hour later. "found our bull, he is in the bottom of the quarry"

Insurance covering him paid for theft and drowning. He fell off the 40' quarry wall and landed on a pile of rocks at the botttom, 5' from the waters edge.

My uncle said to us "you know, I have had a lot of ugly cows in that pasture in my life, but I never had any so bad that the bull took one look at them and killed himself within hours of being let out with them".

Like a buddy of mine said, "everybody ought to go broke in the cattle business at least once in their lifetime"

Your uncle is a talented wag. Sorry-ass high dollar bull couldn't even hit the insurance bullseye haha.

Back