A New Dog Story

BritChaser

I got a new Brittany last summer from a rescue organization (NBRAN) when he was about nine months old. Gus is definitely a hunter but he hunted for himself early in the season, wandering away from me and going in the wrong direction -- always into the wind of course --all on account of my shock collar being on the fritz. Later in the season he got better and then one day while we were hunting alone he redeemed himself and then some. It was a cold day with some snow on the ground. We approached a plum thicket on the edge of a milo field that looked promising. I was on the west side of a shallow draw and Gus was on the east as we headed south to the thicket. Pheasants started flushing from the thicket in all directions. My first shot connected but the bird just dropped a leg and flew out of sight over a hill. My second shot knocked a bird down into the bottom of the draw. I had no clue as to the first bird so I stayed focused on where the second bird went down. After about a minute of searching I found it. Before I bent down to pick it up, I looked around and couldn't see Gus. When I straightened up he came trotting around the bend in the draw with the other bird in his mouth! A double by dog work.

After my shock collar was repaired, we went on a late season reserve hunt for some dog fine tuning. He started to chase a rabbit and got a good jolt for it. I quit shooting at pheasants to concentrate on chukars and he got a jolt when he chased after a free flyer. Two lessons learned and learned well. But mostly he pointed and retrieved over and over on every bird we bagged, three pheasant and nine chukar as well as pointing the 10 or so pheasants will let fly away.

I am so happy with Gus, my rescue Brit. Thank you NBRAN.

Last edited:
Its always nice hearing success stories of rescue dogs..:10sign:

Back