A Little Pre Scouting

I took a drive out east with my cousin on Saturday to have a look around and was met with green tall grass and wheat that was ready to be harvested. We drove around several WIA's from last year to see how they were doing and what crops were being grown around them. The wheat was tall and ready to be harvested and the dry land corn was knee high with irrigated corn even taller. We stopped and talked to a few land owners from last season and they reported seeing lots of birds and had not had any heavy hail from earlier storms. We did see several pheasant on the side of the road and a good size group of young birds running back into the wheat. At one location we were looking over the cover and noticed an owl sitting on the fence post, just a small one about 10" tall with no feathers on its legs. After I got back home I looked it up and it was a burrowing owl, pretty cool. We saw lots of mule deer mostly does and fawns but they are always nice to look at.

So all in all it was a good day and very promising for the soon to be here season.

Happy Fourth to all and be safe.

Sounds promising for you Colorado guys. I just got back from Colorado on vacation with my wife. We drove from Colorado Springs to Canon City one day on 115 and I saw some good looking fields and edges. Is there any kind of upland hunting in this area? There wasn't any crops, but the grass looked good from the road.

Most of the land from Colorado Springs to Penrose and East of HWY 115 is training ground for Ft Carson. No upland hunting allowed.

There are a bunch of turkeys in that area but from what I have heard it is extremely difficult to get access to hunt them.

Most of the pheasant habitat from Colorado Springs is out East towards Burlington. Or you can head North East but the drive is a little longer than going to Burlington. You can go down to the South East if you are looking for quail.

Back