A little help for a new guy

Beanzy

Hey guys and girls, looking for a few pointers or locations to start bird hunting here in Montana and more specifically the Harlowton-Lewistown-Stanford area. I grew up bird hunting in South Dakota and now live here and am looking to get out. I have been to the Coffee Creek area last year but am just looking to see if anyone had any other pointers or areas they like. I have the access map but trying not to put thousands of miles on!! Anything would be appreciated, good luck everyone this season!!

Welcome to the forum... I would start with the F,W, P block management maps for region 5, and begin the process of elimination...
some easy areas DO get pounded, yet once the snow falls, they can get good again... pheasants do get really spooky, with all the sharptail and hun hunting and pressure in your neck of the woods before pheasant season kicks in.. that is a fact of life on public...
don't be afraid to knock on doors, it can be lots of nos... but the farther you get north, of Lewistown you will likely get a higher percentages of Yes's...
I would recommend attending the Lewistown, Mt. PF banquet, Oct. 10th.... landowners do attend, and you can BEGIN the process of relationships.

Dustin, thanks for the info!! I figured I'd have to put some miles on to get my bearings. Banquet sounds like a good idea. Coming from hunting SoDak primarily I'm excited to get out and figure it out out here. Like you said I have the interactive BMA map and I'll just tic em' off. Appreciate the help and good luck!

Back