8 fold vs 6 fold crimp

MNSpaniels

I just started reloading and loaded my first 12ga shells yesterday using my Lee Load All 2. I just arbitrarily decided to use an 8 fold crimp. The crimp seemed inconsistent. On several, the folds were not even, one side was longer than the other. On several others, several (about 2 or 3) of the folds were depressed farther. Looking at my factory loads, which I never paid much attention to, they are all 6 fold.

My main concern is pressure, as I shoot a 1913 Fox A Grade. Is there any pressure benefit of one crimp versus the other? If not, I'd just assume do a 6 as it seems to perform better with regard to uniform consistency.

Thanks

There's no advantage in using one or the other. You should reload with the same number as the shells were originally loaded. The lips have a memory. They are set to use the same number as from the factory. I've tried crimping 6 fold hulls with 8 fold and they come out looking pretty nasty. Just use the same number as the original folds.

Best Shells

My experience is that the best hulls to reload are either Winchester AA's or Remington RXP's. Both of these can use the same wads and last a long time. Both use 8 fold crimps.

MG

Back