5 coveys!!

I know this is a pheasant hunting forum, but most of you guys are bird dog enthusiasts and quail hunting is great for the dogs. The past decade of quail hunting hasn't been easy as you all know, but I have some decent news to share.

Friday I drove south a couple hours. I went SE of Emporia about 25 miles to a 160 acre patch. There were 2 bean-fields surrounded by thick (not wide) draws and a hedge row (ya know, like the ones everybody piles up in the spring?). There was about 45 acres of short grass that wasn't cut for hay this summer (I knew things were looking up when I saw prime nesting cover), and finally a 15 acre patch of CRP. Saw 4 coveys in one trip around the place, sticking to the edge of the bean-field. The dogs and I were both out of practice hunting those little guys, but the dogs' game came around much quicker than the owner's aim! I sure could've used another person to help watch where the singles went.......only killed 4 birds.

On the way home I decided to stop at a WIHA patch that is very near home, but I always pass it up thinking, "It's on the highway, I'm sure it gets pounded". I was still fired up from the 3 hour/4 covey hunt of the morning that I decided to stop. We were no more than 30 yards from the highways when Duke (a Griffon) went on point. The largest covey of the day erupted and I shot one to end the day with 5. Again, should've counted the covey and watched them land instead of shooting one, but it was time to get home;) It could've been an easy limit for a couple of guys and I haven't seen that in awhile.

I'll post a pic when I get the chance!

Good luck for the rest of the season folks:cheers:

Last edited:
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing. We don't see many Quail here, but sure wish I was one of the extra guys you needed. Sounds like the dog had a great time also!:cheers:

I know this is a pheasant hunting forum, but most of you guys are bird dog enthusiasts and quail hunting is great for the dogs. The past decade of quail hunting hasn't been easy as you all know, but I have some decent news to share.

Friday I drove south a couple hours. I went SE of Emporia about 25 miles to a 160 acre patch. There were 2 bean-fields surrounded by thick (not wide) draws and a hedge row (ya know, like the ones everybody piles up in the spring?). There was about 45 acres of short grass that wasn't cut for hay this summer (I knew things were looking up when I saw prime nesting cover), and finally a 15 acre patch of CRP. Saw 4 coveys in one trip around the place, sticking to the edge of the bean-field. The dogs and I were both out of practice hunting those little guys, but the dogs' game came around much quicker than the owner's aim! I sure could've used another person to help watch where the singles went.......only killed 4 birds.

On the way home I decided to stop at a WIHA patch that is very near home, but I always pass it up thinking, "It's on the highway, I'm sure it gets pounded". I was still fired up from the 3 hour/4 covey hunt of the morning that I decided to stop. We were no more than 30 yards from the highways when Duke (a Griffon) went on point. The largest covey of the day erupted and I shot one to end the day with 5. Again, should've counted the covey and watched them land instead of shooting one, but it was time to get home;) It could've been an easy limit for a couple of guys and I haven't seen that in awhile.

I'll post a pic when I get the chance!

Good luck for the rest of the season folks:cheers:

KB,
Hey ,
you can talk all you want about Quail. I can careless about 747 if I can get into covey's of quail. Glad you where able to find them.

I picked up my trailer today and seen a covey of quail using the trailer for cover. As I drove closer to them they ran off under the shed next to the trailer.
I'll be heading back to Ks. next week for the final hunt of the yr.
with the old man. He used to put it to me yrs ago. Now I'm giving him some shooting lessions. ( I just like to ruffel his feathers from timeto time)

Dan
HTS

thats great news especially since the KDWP report says that region five will offer poor quail hunting this year..glad to hear thats false :)

Back