4th Cornea scratch

2 scratches in the last 2 weeks... Obie's 2 yrs old and has demonstrated a remarkable ability to injure his eyes. Hunting's coming soon!! Thinking of grouse cover; it's going to happen again. I searched the site and found a joke about Doggles; has anyone used them hunting, hiking? $25 vs $300 in combined medication/vet visit. Might look funny but better than a stick in the eye?

I had my dog at the vet last week for a irritated 3rd eyelid. The second time in a couple months.

The vet recommended doggles. I sort of laughed and she said "that's what most guys do, but after a few times of spending $150 to get it looked at and medicine, they start to change their tune".

I may buy a pair for grouse hunting just because he is quite the crazy little guy in the woods. Plus I will be grouse hunting alone so there will be no other dogs around to make fun of him.

For $20, I guess I wonder why more guys don't use them. Reading various threads around the net, some guys have problems keeping them on the dogs in heavy cover though, so maybe that is why.

did you ever end up buying a pair of doggles?

my dogs eyes are getting beat up like crazy! luckily i don't think it is anything worse than some debris and the skin around the eyes right now, but i am seriously considering getting a pair.

Yes, we did get a pair of doggles... requires a bit of work to keep them on, dog distraction a must to begin with. Free and quick shipping from the web site. We were able to use them once grouse hunting this fall; needed strap adjustments a couple of times as he ran through the woods. I was looking forward to working with it further but ended my hunting season early this year by fracturing my lower leg;-(. next year....

Yes, we did get a pair of doggles... requires a bit of work to keep them on, dog distraction a must to begin with. Free and quick shipping from the web site. We were able to use them once grouse hunting this fall; needed strap adjustments a couple of times as he ran through the woods. I was looking forward to working with it further but ended my hunting season early this year by fracturing my lower leg;-(. next year....

Sorry to hear that. I think I am going to try a pair until my guy settles down a little.

my girl is a beast in the cattails for here size & she beats up her eye lids & nose pretty good so im thinking of get n a pair for my girl B4 there is a issue with her eyes!!! her lids are tight so i think that may help???

i may get my big bulldogge a pair as well her eye lids are not as tight as the SMs she beats up her eyes all the time also they look funny but they do the job i guess???

ill order 2 black or camo pairs lol

20.00$ a crack is cheaper then 150-300 any day

my girl is a beast in the cattails for here size & she beats up her eye lids & nose pretty good so im thinking of get n a pair for my girl B4 there is a issue with her eyes!!! her lids are tight so i think that may help???

i may get my big bulldogge a pair as well her eye lids are not as tight as the SMs she beats up her eyes all the time also they look funny but they do the job i guess???

ill order 2 black or camo pairs lol

20.00$ a crack is cheaper then 150-300 any day

I have to do something, at least until things die off and thin out a bit.

Just got back from 3 days of hard hunting in SD. The dogs eyes are very irritated. Have some cream from last year I will use. Was looking at the Doggles, is there any brand that works better than others? My dog hunts with such reckless abandon I wonder how long it would take going through a corn field before they got ripped off of him, or do they really stay on?

have you rinsed/washed out your dogs eyes after the SD trip?? Essential..

perhaps a really dumb/rookie question, but....

how does one do this? my vet showed me to pull the eyelid out and get in there, but i cannot do that. I don't trust myself. do you actually pull out the inner eyelid and rinse out in there?

how does one do this? my vet showed me to pull the eyelid out and get in there, but i cannot do that. I don't trust myself. do you actually pull out the inner eyelid and rinse out in there?

Easy-Peasy. Just evert the lower eyelid, it forms a nice little cup. Then squirt some saline solution in there and flush all that crap out. Have a piece of gauze handy to wipe away all the debris. do this as needed during the day and always after the hunt. May need to do this once or twice during the day but always during a tailgate exam after the hunting is done. Solves a lot of eye problems.

Have some antibiotic ophthalmic ointment along and put some in any eye which looks irritated.

NB

Easy-Peasy. Just evert the lower eyelid, it forms a nice little cup. Then squirt some saline solution in there and flush all that crap out. Have a piece of gauze handy to wipe away all the debris. do this as needed during the day and always after the hunt. May need to do this once or twice during the day but always during a tailgate exam after the hunting is done. Solves a lot of eye problems.

Have some antibiotic ophthalmic ointment along and put some in any eye which looks irritated.

NB

So you don't go in there and pull the inner eye lid out?

So you don't go in there and pull the inner eye lid out?

What is the "inner eyelid"? Do you mean the third eyelid?

No, the whole idea is to flush out dirt, chaf, weed seeds etc etc out first before they get behind the 3rd eyelid. That's trouble.

NB

What is the "inner eyelid"? Do you mean the third eyelid?

No, the whole idea is to flush out dirt, chaf, weed seeds etc etc out first before they get behind the 3rd eyelid. That's trouble.

NB

Yes, the third eyelid. My vet showed me to grab that eyelid and check for stuff, but I just cannot do it. I cringe when I watch her do it.

Thanks for the tips! :cheers:

Back