2024 youth hunt

Flushedup

Well, we had a great weekend in SD. I'm just going to start a new thread in case someone else wanted to put a report in here as well.

Friday we didnt get out until about 6pm but pushed some weedy corn on a public GPA block and kicked a couple young broods out, 6 and 8 apiece. When we got to the end we ended up jumping some older bigger birds that must have ran out (smartly). One wasnt too smart however and got up well within range and my son cracked him. We ended up walking a slough edge and jumped 10 more birds, but mostly out of range.

Saturday, windy and hot. Like super dusty hot, it was sunny and no clouds but seemed cloudy at times from the air full of dirt. The morning hunt, we shot at a young barely colored rooster but only a couple other flushes. Went back to the house and cooled off, waited until 430 to go back out. Saw a nice rooster on the edge of the road at a GPA so had the kid get out when he flew back in a couple hundred yards. As I parked the truck and was about to get out, bang, bang, bang... he darn near stepped on one and hammered him, missed at another with the next two shots. We put the dog down on the ground and he got the bird, then was just birdy as hell so we followed him for awhile. Ended up where the boy missed 2 other roosters and we jumped about 6 birds in the next 15 minutes. We were late to meet up with my BIL and his kids so we finished up at another corn patch and holy smokes. Flushed over 100 birds out of it and my kid shot another one with a nice retrieve from my springer. Most birds didnt even know why they were flushing, never got shot at but what a sight for the kids.

We hunted a little spot Sunday morning for 1/2 hour where my BIL had his 10 year old shoot at a young rooster, didnt get it but at least he pulled the trigger.

The bean harvest is 90% done, and not much for corn taken. They need rain quite badly to freshen up the grass, and help the roads.

Back