2016 Hunting Season

Gr8121

Hey to all local hunters. Permits are readily available still on the controlled areas. Guess the price increases have scared off the initial flush of hunters trying to get their permits. Any thoughts or concerns with this?

Hey to all local hunters. Permits are readily available still on the controlled areas. Guess the price increases have scared off the initial flush of hunters trying to get their permits. Any thoughts or concerns with this?

I've hunted Illinois controlled pheasant areas since the 70's. In HS my brother and I would leave after school and get in the "sweat" line as we called it hoping to get a stand by permit for the next day at Des Plaines conservation area.
It was tough back then.
Today, permits are almost always available even on weekends. Price increase, hunter participation drop off has led to this. Very few kids hunting now a days.
Access to private ground almost non existent today.
When I was in HS our group consisted of Uncles, friends, cousins.... We had 8-10 that would hunt. Today, I'm the only one till hunting pheasants. I'm afraid you will see the T. Miller run places close up in a few years. He can't make a good business when very few hunters go especially during the week. Sad our sport is dying.

Yeah, when I started hunting Des Plaines years ago I would get up early and sleep in the car in the standby circle. Missed out a lot of times. These days there rarely seems to be an issue with permits. Even standby is pretty reliable.

The price goes up, but last time I did a preserve hunt it was 8X the price of the state areas.

And private ground is no sure thing either. I have access to plenty - never have seen a bird on it.

Part of me wonders if it has (in-part) something to do with so many people leaving the state:confused:. I've lost a number of clients due to people leaving. Some used to hunt our public grounds/release sites and obviously will no longer do so due.

Back