2015-2016 Bird Forcasts

100%IL

IDNR should be posting their 2015-2016 call counts here soon.

How does everyone think IL will fair? Here in the central part of the state we had a very mild winter with low snowfall but nesting season was very damp with alot of flooding.

I was traveling to my parents house (Logan County) and had two hens and a rooster run right in front of me. Also did some scouting in Knox County and had a few roosters right along a state route.

Hopefully some re-nesting occurred. I know our place flooded at least 3 times in the bottoms where the turkeys and some of the quail nest.

I'm a bit concerned---though I haven't had a chance to look around since spring. Where there's habitat, things were looking VERY good. A number of clients were saying they too were seeing birds but then the heavy rains hit around peak nesting season. Just south of here they really got pounded:eek:

We'll see.

Hey. By the way; Welcome to the site 100%IL.

Nick

Still now survey results from IDNR, wonder what is taking so long?

Recruited 3 new pheasant hunters this week along with getting 2 previous hunters back in the game. The more we can get back, the more revenue we can get to get the habitat back!

Good point and good job:thumbsup:

I'm staying out of the guessing game with this one. With all those heavy rains I'm not sure how things are going to turn out for areas of the state.

Around here, I think we may see an increase over last year??? We'll see.

Nick:cheers:

Winter wasn't too bad, but given all the rain we had I just don't believe the hatch was as good as it could have been. Hopefully, there will be some late hatches, but I personally think it's going to be the worst season in a long time.

Numbers are finally out, looks like more of the same, no real increase over last year. Seems like where the good habitat is, the birds have survived.

Also saw the small increase in hunters and birds taken. If we can keep growing at 5-10% a year we can get some more money in here to get more habitat.

An increase is nice to see. I wonder how much of that increase is due to youth hunting programs like the one's Pheasants Forever chapters puts out???

"coyotes killed all the pheasants" is still echoed by people around here, my family in Wisconsin say the same thing about their bird populations too. I think they're starting to figure out there's still wild birds out there. That may be helping with the increase.

Nick

Back