12-26-12 Hunt

nstric

Finally got back out afield after what felt like a long hiatus. Five minutes into the drive and I was seeing plenty of birds eating in the fields, right off of 141. More birds than I'd seen driving all year long, combined, by a country mile!

Upon arriving at the field I see 20+ pheasants feeding to the south, a few more running in the road ditch ahead of me, and another 12+ in the farmstead adjacent to where I planned to hunt. I knew it was going to be good.

Gunner and I walk in, he locks up in the fenceline, and though I figure it's old scent he knows better. Up come another dozen or so pheasants, about half of which were roosters. Too close to the house to drop any.

We step into the cattails and another point is quickly made. Birds burst out from all angles, and I drop one of the roosters. I saw right where he fell, could see the cattails shaking from flutttering wings, but still couldn't locate the bird. The snow was that deep. Thankfully, Gunner's nose did the locating.

We press on to the north, my legs very quickly tiring from the extremely difficult walk. Imagine snow drifts chest deep, boots catching on cattails underneath, etc. I was getting a workout, no doubt. Gunner didn't seem to mind, working his way up and over where he could, underneath some, and pushed through where needed. He was a champ! Who says pointing breeds won't hunt the hard stuff?!?

We're now at the NW corner and 8 hens flush a bit wild. They were either running ahead of us, or birds that hadn't yet been seen. This north side is completely filled in . . . drifts six foot deep easy. We swing east and Gunner locks up, a rooster flushes, and I see Gunner just about take him from the air. I swing right to left and bag bird number two.

Twenty paces later, another point, right in the six foot deep stuff I'd mentioned above. I push into it, notice a hole, step in, and a rooster comes up my leg. One more shot, and we've our limit. Less than ten minutes into the hunt!

On the walk out I actually get stuck trying to take the most direct route towards the truck. Mistake! I was seriously stuck. Comically so. Snow up to my chest . . . way too deep to swing a leg out . . . and way too compacted to tredge through it. You know that snow that is hard enough to just barely hold your weight, but then you fall through?

I ended up calling Gunner over to stir up the area; make a path if you will. I had recalled a show on Alaska on the Discovery Channel where it was common practice to use sled dogs to do similar. See . . . who says one can't learn anything from TV?!? :) Anyhow, it worked. I was then able to use my gun to push myself out and into the path Gunner created. The entire process gave me quite the laugh.

Back at the truck, we snap the picture, jump in the truck and head towards home. To my delight, I saw big groups of pheasants out feeding. Some flocks which appeared to top 30. Up until today, I'd only seen one pheasant while driving all season long. Today, during a 20 minute drive, I saw 75+ easily. It was a great day!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B8%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B3%3C76272338nu0mrj

Excellent work

A great pic Nate and story to boot! The only thing you forgot to mention is how cold it is with that 10+ wind and low temps. I wouldn't be surprised if you sport a beard like mine soon!

I am going to attempt a hunt tomorrow. I was hoping for relief and to heal from a torn bicep injury I went through last week. Painful but two weeks left, what is a guy to do?

Plan on trying to locate an area or two where the stalk and dog work possible. It is the second that concerns me. I enjoy watching Sophie work and our post blizzard conditions do not suit that very well.

I will be in the Sibley and Ocheyedan area tomorrow. A mix of private and public I hope! Give Gunner and extra dog treat tonight. Sounds like he earned it pulling your butt out of that snow!:)

Great hunting story! Thank you.

Would have loved to be there, except, with snow that deep, I'd STILL be there. :)

Good dog work. :thumbsup:

A great pic Nate and story to boot! The only thing you forgot to mention is how cold it is with that 10+ wind and low temps. I wouldn't be surprised if you sport a beard like mine soon!

I am going to attempt a hunt tomorrow. I was hoping for relief and to heal from a torn bicep injury I went through last week. Painful but two weeks left, what is a guy to do?

Plan on trying to locate an area or two where the stalk and dog work possible. It is the second that concerns me. I enjoy watching Sophie work and our post blizzard conditions do not suit that very well.

I will be in the Sibley and Ocheyedan area tomorrow. A mix of private and public I hope! Give Gunner and extra dog treat tonight. Sounds like he earned it pulling your butt out of that snow!:)
Yes, you're right! The wind was 10+ mph straight out of the north and the temps likely in the teens. Honestly, I expected to feel colder though. The combination of seeing so many birds and the difficult walk must have got the blood flowing!

A torn bicep?!? Those are no fun ... and I speak from experience. A weight lifting injury about seven years ago now. Did you have surgery as I did? Heal up!

Good luck hunting today! Post your story as I'm headed to the in-laws in Chicago. Concrete city for me for the next handful of days. Ugh.

Great story and great hunt Nate! I almost called you but then thought better of it, I should have. I too went out 12/26 on public south of Des Moines. It was zero degrees when I left the truck at 8:05. It was cold. I did not get a bird but had one of the most enjoyable mornings I have had in years.

It was a beautiful morning. I ended up seeing between 30-40 pheasants, 8 roosters out of the bunch but nearly all were busting up in front of me aways. No dog and the snow was so loud from being so cold itn pretty much squeaked loudly when you were on top of it and cracked when you broke through it. I had numerous hens bust at foot and it was a great day.

In all, 30-40 pheasants, two deer, a beautiful eagle perched watching my entire 2+ hour hunt and a coyote. I really had a good day. I watched almost in awe at one point when I crested a rise and saw two hens get up aways out in front of me. Then another hen, then two roosters, then they seemed to explode. There were at least 20 pheasants in that group and just seeing those birds really made my day, sounds strange but it did.

Yes, they're bunching up for sure. Some big groups are out there.

You should have called as I'd have enjoyed the company ... and I'm pretty sure you'd have enjoyed the experience. ;-)

Back