Passing through SD…Pheasants Galore

SDinWI

Wife and I just started our road trip out west and passed through southern MN to eastern SD today. I had my eyes peeled for pheasants along the route. From southeastern to southwestern MN, I counted 7. Pretty impressive, I thought, as long tails are pretty few and far between on my WI highway drives.

We had some time to kill before we wanted to settle into our SD hotel, so we decided to take a country drive for a bit. I quickly looked up some public lands in eastern SD. Gravel roads with plenty of ditch mostly around wetlands and ag. We made it a mission to see how much birds we could spy. And spy we did. We counted 49 in about our hour side mission. 95% roosters which makes sense with the nesting season in full swing. No broods. But holy cow, I wasn’t expecting that #. My username is a play on my land in WI and what I’m hoping to get the habitat to be (a slice of SD in WI).

Attaching a pic of one rooster in town. Seems he’s one with the locals.

Anyway, I’m jealous and amazed and happy you all get to experience a great wild pheasant population. And no, I didn’t spot any holes in their beaks (A5). 😉
IMG_5015.jpeg

Last edited:
The thing that sticks out to me most in that photo is how green the grass is. Tells you that there is no drought in sight.

Wife and I just started our road trip out west and passed through southern MN to eastern SD today. I had my eyes peeled for pheasants along the route. From southeastern to southwestern MN, I counted 7. Pretty impressive, I thought, as long tails are pretty few and far between on my WI highway drives.

We had some time to kill before we wanted to settle into our SD hotel, so we decided to take a country drive for a bit. I quickly looked up some public lands in eastern SD. Gravel roads with plenty of ditch mostly around wetlands and ag. We made it a mission to see how much birds we could spy. And spy we did. We counted 49 in about our hour side mission. 95% roosters which makes sense with the nesting season in full swing. No broods. But holy cow, I wasn’t expecting that #. My username is a play on my land in WI and what I’m hoping to get the habitat to be (a slice of SD in WI).

Attaching a pic of one rooster in town. Seems he’s one with the locals.

Anyway, I’m jealous and amazed and happy you all get to experience a great wild pheasant population. And no, I didn’t spot any holes in their beaks (A5). 😉
View attachment 8243
There are a billion pheasants. I have to replant my food plots in Sanborn County, SD. 9 acres almost completely wiped out by pheasants digging up the corn kernels.

Back with service!

As we continued west, we counted an additional 17. Seemed like the habitat was best on the east side of the river. You have nice wide ditches and just open grassland in SD. Even if it’s not pristine CRP, I think the pasture looking cool season grasses help a ton. That’s what I noticed vs WI.

I think you are right about the second bird in that pic. Hopefully that’s an indication of how good of a year you all will have 😃

I’m not too worried about this rain. Had this happened when the majority of hens were still on Nests then yes but I think the bulk of the chicks are on the ground now and it’s not going be a cold rain so I think we’ll be OK.. any hens that are currently sitting on eggs. If those do get washed out, she will re-nest.

Agree not super concerned as long a no hail with it. Also for the areas we hunt the highest percentage day has dry days around it and then when there are multiple days in a row forecasted the percentage drops. Hopefully means they get some since sure the crops could use it but nothing that hurts the hatch.

Wel there shouldnt be for local hay. Id like to think that the exception doesnt apply if ur plan is to sell it to some drought stricken region

I would think the whole state is in good shape at the present time. Keep in mind some may hay it again and call it management which has to be done on a periodic basis.

Back