Uninsulated Boots??

A5 Sweet 16

So Irish Setter discontinued my favorite boot, the 400g Elk Tracker 885 (camo), although I have a spare pair. But I'm going try the 0g version, the 861 (brown) next season anyway. My feet have never been cold, so I'm sure no insulation will be fine for the vast majority of my hunting. But what about those days when it's below zero?? Anyone else have experience hunting pheasants in very cold conditions with uninsulated boots? I've still got 193 days until the SD residents' opener. 😆

20240402_205520.jpg

My feet rarely get cold, but there's been times when it's sub zero they get a bit chilly. Prior to getting a new pair of insulated Crispis last summer, I pretty much hunted for years with just an uninsulated boot.

I will say it's hard to have both worlds with an uninsulated boot. The pair of Meindls I have that are now my early season boot, I got them to fit perfect with a thin pair of merino wool socks but come late season I can't wear a thicker pair of merino wool socks and have them fit right.

I think as long as you are on the move and your feet are dry, they will stay warm. Whether the boot is insulated or uninsulated.

Sitting while hunting is a completely different ball game.

I use 400g insulated boots but mine are all-purpose. I use them for upland, turkey, and deer hunting. I wear moisture-wicking socks when I am walking and wool when I am sitting.

So Irish Setter discontinued my favorite boot, the 400g Elk Tracker 885 (camo), although I have a spare pair. But I'm going try the 0g version, the 861 (brown) next season anyway. My feet have never been cold, so I'm sure no insulation will be fine for the vast majority of my hunting. But what about those days when it's below zero?? Anyone else have experience hunting pheasants in very cold conditions with uninsulated boots? I've still got 193 days until the SD residents' opener. 😆

When you jump back on the retrofitted school bus on your way to the next strip of milo, see if one of the other 14 guys will let you sit in front of the heater so you can keep your toes warm in between hunting spots.

I've pheasant hunted in -10 and lower in my Kenetrek Mtn Extreme Uninsulated and have never gotten cold. If I stop they will, but as long as I'm moving my feet at least will not get cold in really any weather. I even broke through in a slough up to my mid-thigh one year and my legs started to get a little cold, but my feet although wet; were not.

When you jump back on the retrofitted school bus on your way to the next strip of milo, see if one of the other 14 guys will let you sit in front of the heater so you can keep your toes warm in between hunting spots.
Thumbs down to that grabass.

My hands and feet get cold very easily. I wear the classic Irish setters with zero insulation. My feet have gotten "cool" maybe three times while bird hunting, it was below zero each time. For me I will stick with an uninsulated boot. One day we hit the bar for lunch, and saw another group of hunters. An attractive young lady hunter had on rubber boots with a high insulation number stamped on the side. "She's gotta sweat like a pig with those on!" I thought. Leaving I saw a truck parked with kennels and pointer dog stickers on the topper. "Ah ha! She lets the dog run wild and doesn't want her tootsies getting chilled while she watches for a point from a stationary position." True story.

I’ve worn nothing but uninsulated boots for bird hunting in either Filson Uplander or Crispi Idaho GTX II flavors. I always wear good socks and I don’t get cold. I have the Crispi boots on in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6854.jpeg
    IMG_6854.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
They are considered non insulated but have lining for waterproofing. They are my winter boot pairs with a super light wicking sock and a knee high, thin, cross country ski sock to keep the calves warm. They are far too warm for hunting before the snow flys for me however so I do have a completely uninsulated all leather boot for the tropical hunts.
As good as Ace is and how you shoot, you're not out there very long..... crocs are a cheap alternative ;).

This past season I broke down and bought the West River boot by Crispi and man...I tell you what. That boot is amazing! Super comfortable, dry, waterproof. Almost no break in and no blisters.

Back