Youth Upland Season

PassItOn

This next weekend, 11/5-6, is the Youth Upland Special Season.

Who is taking a kid hunting?

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors is working with folks in the Emporia to host a First Hunt event on 11/5 and on 11/6 we have about a dozen kids we'll be taking to WIHA properties west of Wichita to march through some CRP to see what they can find!

Our future depends on getting kids out now!

Take a kid hunting!

Mike C.
Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors, Inc.
http://www.outdoormentors.org

My 'kids', twin boys, turned 21 this year. They laughed when I asked them if they wanted to go hunting. Seems they have other things to do now. 😄Oh well, they'll come back around.

Mine are 14 and 16. Been bringing them both since they turned 10. Don't mind paying out of state fees. My 16 yr old has sub regional playoffs this year for football. He will miss and he is not happy about it. I told him hunting will always be there, playoffs don't, make the most of it. I hope they keep the fire burning.

Scouted three fields last night and the cackling and crowing were non stop. This should be a good year.

My kids are 17 and 15, so only one is young enough still. Back in the day, we were pretty regular about youth season. We'll be out on Sunday, either for ducks (not youth season), pheasants, or both. It will be up to him. Even though I can shoot if we go duck hunting instead of pheasant hunting, I'd rather go pheasant hunting.

I have been planning on taking my son, but now someone planned a party. I think he wants to cancel on me. He hasn't ever seen a pheasant so he doesn't know what he will be missing.

Planning to head west Saturday evening for 1 day hunt on Sunday. I have had the pleasure of spondoring, guiding and mentoring a hunt with "Pass it on" Mike. Great organization. If anyone needs a tax deduction for the year contact him. He does alot to get kids,women and new families out hunting.

What shot size and choke do you recommend for a new upland hunter shooting a 20ga over pointing dogs on public land? I assume the birds will be a little easier to get close to during youth weekend, but a new shooter may be slower on the draw.

What shot size and choke do you recommend for a new upland hunter shooting a 20ga over pointing dogs on public land? I assume the birds will be a little easier to get close to during youth weekend, but a new shooter may be slower on the draw.
Are you going to have to shoot steel? Come by I have boxes and boxes of it sitting around from when my wife used to hunt. Any combination from skeet to mod. would work.

I will probably use copper plated lead. He will be shooting a over/under so I am thinking IC and Mod. Either #5 or 6 shot.

Good Luck and the only way I was able to get my son and his friends to be quick enough was breaking clays. Shooters had a competition who could break the clay the fastest off the throw after two practices of doing this they were able to knock down roosters. Birds are mighty flighty before 11:00 a.m so hunt first light take a long breakfeast then hunt 11-1 for your best luck at tight holding birds.

For a young shooter Id say modified. As much as you would like an open choke I usually see the kids hesitate longer than a more experienced hunter.

Stink belly you already said my Choice for Bub. Copper in either a 5 or 6 with a modified choke but he is now shooting a improved modified . Good luck and have fun. We will still be boot shopping while you are youth hunting so realize how good you have it and post lots of pictures.

Back