your "go to" gun

tript2009

Going to start a hopefully lively conversation. I'm looking at buying another shotgun strictly devoted to pheasant hunting. I wanted to pose the question "if you could pick only one shotgun to hunt pheasant with for the rest of time, what gun would you choose and why?" I'm open to any and all opinions, so let me have it. Just for a base line, I'm considering Beretta 686s, browning cynergys, andand browning citoris, however I am not opposed to semi autos, or side by sides.

Goto Gun

I use my Beretta SV10 III o/u more than the rest in 12 gauge. I also have a Franchi "Affinity" that I used a lot this year. The Beretta is an awesome gun, it is the most natural pointing well balanced gun I've owned during the course of the last 40 years, it looks good and has never had a malfunction. If I could only have one that would be it, nothing else compares to it.

Last edited:
I have spent my share of time walking. My Benneli Monte ultralight is tough to beat. At a little over 6lbs it is a joy to carry.

When I did what you are doing I bought a Model 12 in a 16 gauge and I could not be happier. Absolute reliability in any weather.

My 28ga Cz Ringneck is my go to game gun. I'm very confident shooting it and I know it's limitations. When I hold up my end of the deal my dog picks up a dead bird. I know how a few on here feel about sub gauges for hunting pheasants but I think PTM can attest to how my little gun performs.

I have a beretta a300. love the gun. not one complaint. easy to disassemble and clean. light. and its sold for a very reasonable price. but if i didn't have a budget the benelli ethos would probably be my choice. that gun is beautiful.

Little experience with the others mentioned, but I have a hard time grabbing anything except my 686 20 guage. My wife gave it to me as a gift, and a great gift it was.

Little experience with the others mentioned, but I have a hard time grabbing anything except my 686 20 guage. My wife gave it to me as a gift, and a great gift it was.

Since this is one of the guns and gauges I'm looking at, I would like to ask: if you had to change one thing about the gun, what would it be?

Since this is one of the guns and gauges I'm looking at, I would like to ask: if you had to change one thing about the gun, what would it be?
There isn't anything I would change about the gun, it comes up nice. Drops roosters well.(skeet/ imp) over a gsp. And is easy to carry in the field.(light). I also have a 12 that I've never shot. I like the 20 a lot.

My A5 Sweet 16 is a pheasant slaying machine followed by my 101. I keep it old school; however my uncle has the new Winchester 101 and it's great.

Either of my CZ Bobwhites. Time of year would determine 28 or 20.

Ben - Thought my 12 ga Montefeltro was the ultimate pheasant gun when I got it about 10 years ago and it might be. Since picking up my Browning Feather Lightning 16 ga O/U about 3 years ago I find myself going to that gun more often. the key with both of them is they really fit me. Both just feel right and when I shoulder them they are just right there where they should be. I would be hapy with either one being the only one for the rest of my days chasing birds.

The Beretta's are great guns for sure. I have a SV 10 I shoot clays with and again fits me like a glove and shoot that gun as well as my bird guns.

I have always had a thing for Weatherby guns and think some of the O/U's they have turned out over the years make very good field guns also.

Good luck in your search and if any of my guns are of interest to you to look at up close let me know and can bring them along next time we meet up at the preserve.

Matt

Ben - Thought my 12 ga Montefeltro was the ultimate pheasant gun when I got it about 10 years ago and it might be. Since picking up my Browning Feather Lightning 16 ga O/U about 3 years ago I find myself going to that gun more often. the key with both of them is they really fit me. Both just feel right and when I shoulder them they are just right there where they should be. I would be hapy with either one being the only one for the rest of my days chasing birds.

The Beretta's are great guns for sure. I have a SV 10 I shoot clays with and again fits me like a glove and shoot that gun as well as my bird guns.

I have always had a thing for Weatherby guns and think some of the O/U's they have turned out over the years make very good field guns also.

Good luck in your search and if any of my guns are of interest to you to look at up close let me know and can bring them along next time we meet up at the preserve.

Matt

Shoot me a text with what all ya have and I'll let ya know if which ones I wouldn't mind handling. Thanks for the help buddy!

Go swing a lot of guns. The one that fits you best is your best choice. For me the old S&W 1000 was the one I chose. It pointed itself. I've handled Citori 20 gauges that did the same. I think if you had time and a cooperative salesman try swinging them blindfolded so the name and price tag don't bias your decision. Sure you can pay to have one fitted but if one fits out of the box you're ahead of the game.

Go swing a lot of guns. The one that fits you best is your best choice. For me the old S&W 1000 was the one I chose. It pointed itself. I've handled Citori 20 gauges that did the same. I think if you had time and a cooperative salesman try swinging them blindfolded so the name and price tag don't bias your decision. Sure you can pay to have one fitted but if one fits out of the box you're ahead of the game.

With the only gun shops in a decent drive around me that have any kind of O/U or SxS selection being crowded all of the time, finding this kind of service would be next to impossible. I could definitely get away with doing this at the smaller shops, but the selection they have -and the price markup- would mean that the one option they have on display is the only option they would have.

I have a thing for English stocks. Grew up hunting a BPS upland special. My current gun is a Browning Superlight Feather in 20 gauge with 26" barrels. I purchased it used and redid the stock with a boiled linseed oil finish. Very light, under 6 lbs with the alloy receiver. I have had a Cynergy, a Sig TR20, but I have never shot better on birds than this fall with the Superlight. I'm a believer. But I still want to try a Sig TR20U with the English stock. I'm a sucker for a thin profile on a O/U.

I have a thing for English stocks. Grew up hunting a BPS upland special. My current gun is a Browning Superlight Feather in 20 gauge with 26" barrels. I purchased it used and redid the stock with a boiled linseed oil finish. Very light, under 6 lbs with the alloy receiver. I have had a Cynergy, a Sig TR20, but I have never shot better on birds than this fall with the Superlight. I'm a believer. But I still want to try a Sig TR20U with the English stock. I'm a sucker for a thin profile on a O/U.

Growing up I always wanted an English stocked gun. I can remember looking at the Browning Superlight in the catalog and dreaming of all the quail I would kill with it. 2 years ago I came across a used one. The stock was dented plenty, like it was behind the seat of a truck, but the mechanicals looked like they were almost new. I got a good enough deal on it and bought it. The dream had come true... Until I tried to shoot with it:eek: I can't hit anything with that gun. It is embarrassingly bad.

My A5 Sweet 16 is a pheasant slaying machine followed by my 101. I keep it old school; however my uncle has the new Winchester 101 and it's great.

I agree with you Mr. Jim on the Sweet 16. Once I put in the modified choke about 3 years ago my success rate went up on pheasants. I use improved cylinder choke when quail hunting at home.

Back