Wrecking Crew Does It Again...

Labs

Yet another limit courtesy of the Wrecking Crew this morning. They flushed a couple hundred, as many times as I've seen this it never gets old. As usual old Betty got a couple blinds when we got back...

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_091714630_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201128_091714630_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201128_100818016.jpg
    IMG_20201128_100818016.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 21
Actual question: Do you typically hunt the whole WC together, or one at a time?
I'm curious also.

Really depends on the situation. It's not unusual that one is out on Injured Reserve or just needs a day off, but I rarely hunt with less than two. When I have more than two with I use a Dogtra multi-dog e-collar system that allows control of 4 collars off the same transmitter . If I'm hunting one or two I use a Dogtra two collar system as that transmitter is much smaller. If my wife is with she hunts & handles her dog Boogie on a separate collar (orange collar on the right end) while I hunt & handle the other one or two.

I believe when the entire Crew is with the more fun it is, the more birds get flushed, and it is rare a cripple escapes. They all have their talents and the total mix is pretty cool. Harley is one of the most talented gun dogs I've ever owned with amazing drive, nose, smarts, and marking ability. Boogie is a solid upland hunter and handles the best of the three. I got Jetta from a SD guide service to hunt waterfowl as she is more interested in retrieving than hunting. She proved to be a fast & nearly flawless marker hunting geese & ducks, and we found when taken out of a guide rotation system she is actually a solid upland hunter who simply won't quit on a cripple.

Up until we retired her this season, Betty was an active member of the Crew so often we hunted with four labs at once. She is a superb upland dog and was second only to Harley in overall performance, so not having her nose and drive leaves a big hole in the line up. Going to look for a started yellow female come Spring to replace her.

In about half hour, going to hunt that same spot with all three...

Really depends on the situation. It's not unusual that one is out on Injured Reserve or just needs a day off, but I rarely hunt with less than two.
Cool, thanks for the synopsis. Sounds like you've got it pretty well figured out. Because of 2 ultimately deaths, I've only had 1 season ever with multiple dogs. Fun for sure, but nerve wracking for me. So based only on VERY limited experience, I prefer one. But the vast majority of my hunting is done alone. And.... my guess is that your WC members are much more obedient & under control than any of my dogs have been.

Back