World's longest rifle shot record

Kismet

UPH Guru
The previous record of 4 miles set in 2020 was defeated recently by a 4.4-mile target hit in the high desert of western Wyoming. The bullet took 24 seconds to hit the 8-inch bullseye, but breaking the record had been the goal for over a year.

After setting the Wyoming state record of 3.06 miles in 2020, Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries gathered a team of extreme-long-range enthusiasts to tackle the world record.

(The rifle took about two years to build; the target was hit on the 69th shot attempting to make it. The article I read didn't specify the caliber, but looks to be a .50 cal.)

There's more on the internet.

I can't recall the source, but I've read ( or heard) at these distances the projectile doesn't hit straight-on, but rather descends with a huge arc like a rainbow, coming down from altitude.

Is it really a record if it takes 69 shots to hit? I'd think that almost anyone with good spotters and equipment could do something similar with that many attempts.

Looked up another site which may answer some of your questions.

I am equally amazed at the shot and the fact that there are guys out there who would make that kind of investment of time and money to attempt it.

Oh, and it was a .416 caliber.

I heard it was a 20 gauge with extra extra full choke with a Prairie Storm load of 4 shot. 69 shots to hit the target, sounds like some guys I used hunt with.
No kidding. I hunted with a guy one time that would have flung a box of shells at a bird if he would had a magazine that big. No bird was too far…..

Back