wood or synthetic

Thrasher

I am looking into buying a new gun and am leaning towards the Browning Maxus. I would like to hear some of your thoughts. I like the wood with the nickel finish, but might like to use it for waterfowl as well. If I get the black synthetic stalk I would probably go with the 3 1/2 inch chamber. I have a 11-87 in 3 inch that I can use for ducks and geese. It is wood and matte black.

Does anyone carry a synthetic stalked shotgun for pheasant? Is there any real advantage to a 3 1/2 inch shell for waterfowl?

Thanks for your input.

Yes yes and yes. There are some huge advantages to a 3 1/2 shell for waterfowl. Early season you won't notice near the advantages as you will late season. I shoot a lot of ducks each year and let me tell you as the season wears on and the birds get a better plume and fat layer and just all out smarter that extra little bit is a god send. Synthetic is also a lot more durable and although cold at first it warms up quicker. I have two guns myself just because I don't like taking my o/u in to the marsh or goose pit. If you were to get it in synthetic with 3 1/2 you wouldn't be disappointed.

I bought the exact gun you are looking at in camo. I think blue and wood are much more attractive but some of the places I hunt grouse are rocky Mountain sides. I don't hunt waterfowl. However, there are quite a few in East Tennessee that do. I could not get my hands on all of my choices when I was in the market and my best chance in moving a gun that did not work for me was better if it appealed to waterfowlers. Thankfully, I love the gun. I use it or a 16 gauge Citori on pheasant.

Everybody I know who has bought a Maxus absolutely loves them. They pretty much think it is the best gun ever built. I picked one up and swung it, and it does have a nice feel to it.

I use my camo/synthetic beretta for all hunting... and trap and clays for that matter... :D I'm pretty sure the birds and clays don't give a darn what your gun looks like. Just find one that fits your body and your budget and blast away!:D

Once in a while I will catch a smirk or a puzzled look when I pull out a "waterfowl gun" at the trap park or the pheasant field, but I'm not trying to impress anybody. :laugh:

I could easily get by without the 3.5" chamber, but I do bust out the big shells for geese a few times a year (when I am confident that a mixed bag is not a possibility). Like a pass shoot or after duck season closes.

Good luck, whatever you decide to get.

I like wood for everything but foul weather. My duck gun is a Syn. stocked camo Browning 3.5" cynergy O/U. I have a wood stocked Beretta 686 Onyx Pro 3.5" O/U too but it mostly only sees action on the trap range. All my other shotguns are walnut stocked. I love the feel of walnut and the weight of it too.

Nothing, I repeater nothing gives me more pleasure then carrying a high grade O/U with AAA exhibition grade wood in the pheasant field or Ruff grouse woods.

I like wood for everything but foul weather. My duck gun is a Syn. stocked camo Browning 3.5" cynergy O/U. I have a wood stocked Beretta 686 Onyx Pro 3.5" O/U too but it mostly only sees action on the trap range. All my other shotguns are walnut stocked. I love the feel of walnut and the weight of it too.

Nothing, I repeater nothing gives me more pleasure then carrying a high grade O/U with AAA exhibition grade wood in the pheasant field or Ruff grouse woods.

I agree! I am looking for a synthetic stocked gun for hunting the concrete waterlodged pits I do waterfowling in. I put to much time worrying about the upland guns in the pit. I sit hear admiring a straight stocked, marble-caked, american walnut beauty shinning in the sunlight. Only thing I would add, being 59, "light" weight, and a 20/28 gauge.

I use floor wax on my guns for foul weather, a trick that an old Newfoundlander taught me, and those fellas LIVE in the salt chuck and foul weather!:eek:
All my guns are wood, and I've never had an issue with rusting of the barrels nor swelling of the wood
DT

I am looking into buying a new gun and am leaning towards the Browning Maxus. I would like to hear some of your thoughts. I like the wood with the nickel finish, but might like to use it for waterfowl as well. If I get the black synthetic stalk I would probably go with the 3 1/2 inch chamber. I have a 11-87 in 3 inch that I can use for ducks and geese. It is wood and matte black.

Does anyone carry a synthetic stalked shotgun for pheasant? Is there any real advantage to a 3 1/2 inch shell for waterfowl?

Thanks for your input.

I use a stalker Maxus that shoots 3 1/2 shells. It works just fine on pheasant , skeet, trap and deer. It has killed its fair share of geese and ducks. As far as shooting 3 1/2 inchers it does a good job at it ,but I am getting a little older and opt for 3 inch for ducks geese and deer

For me its camo synthetic for waterfowl, and wood w/ blued steel for pheasants. Both guns are beretta silver mallards. Its nice having the same gun configured both ways since it fits me good.

My bro in law bought the wood version. It's very nice looking but the dumb **s bought a 30" barrel for upland hunting.

Only down side to the 30" is the added weight he has to carry.

You know what they say...once you got to a black stock you won't go back ;)

Finally made the decision yesterday and went out and bought the gun. I ended up with the Maxus hunter (wood and nickle). Nice gun. I was going to choose the 3 inch gun, but talked myself into the 3 1/2 for "just in case I need it sometime". I plan to shot a round or two of trap this week and then dove season starts.

Took the new gun out last thursday and shot two rounds of trap. The gun shot the low-based 8's perfectly. It handles well and I shot it as well as the remington 11-87 I have been shooting. Two rounds of 21/25.

Back