Wisconsin GSP Breeder

Jordan54

Hi,
I'm looking for a Wisconsin GSP breeder. Was wondering if anyone had any referrals.

I am lookin at one breeder Jurgerson's Kennel. Has anyone bought a puppy from them. Any good reviews or bad reviews on them or any other breeder would be helpful.. Thanks!

I'm in MN and could make some recommendations close to WI on top of the 2 good ones you received. Jason at Pro Shot in NE Iowa, awesome dogs and he's an awesome trainer. Jeff at Countryside Gundogs near Cedar Rapids, IA, same deal. I'd also be willing to talk to you to see if anything I have might fit what you are looking for. http://www.aspenhillgundogs.com

I don't know them, their dogs or what they produce, but there are red flags for me when I check the website of the kennel you mentioned. First being a lemon gsp listed on their males, second the statement on downsizing and not continuing to breed gsps, with them being for sale and transferring deposits. Where are you getting your after purchase support from? I didn't see any mention of minimum health clearances either and only providing limited registration, which may or may not be a big deal.

Can't believe I didn't mention it before, but if you need to stay in WI, Clyde and Marilyn Vetter at Sharpshooter Kennel would be my choice.

Thanks for the replies. I am starting to check out the breeders now. I ran across another one. Thunderhead's GSPs out of Greenbay. Has anyone heard of this breeder? Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I am starting to check out the breeders now. I ran across another one. Thunderhead's GSPs out of Greenbay. Has anyone heard of this breeder? Thanks

Ron has good dogs. I visited him 10 years ago when I was looking. Lots of drive in those dogs. Ron is an excellent trainer too.

+1....but he is in TX right now guiding and training.

cr

Krystal Kreek is where I bought my last pup.. One of the best dogs I ever hunted behind. The unfortunate part was I was never able to get him to settle down at home and he had several medical issues. That's not taking anything from Tracy at Krystal Kreek. I would definitely consider buying from her again, but she doesn't have any pups for sale that I could see. Thanks for the suggestion/I]

Can't believe I didn't mention it before, but if you need to stay in WI, Clyde and Marilyn Vetter at Sharpshooter Kennel would be my choice.

I was going to recommend Shooting Star as well. My best female GSP was from a litter with there stud "Shane". Very smart dogs!:10sign:

Oops I read that wrong, I thought I read Shooting Star. Both kennels are great however.

I agree. My Thunderhead female has a lot of Shooting Starr behind her. There are a lot of good qualities. She does have a few quirks, but does produce very well when bred to the right dogs.

I've been in contact with Ron at Thunderhead over the past few weeks. I believe he still has 2 pups from the last litter.

Koda/Kane,

Is this your first GSP? How is the puppies demeanor? Is he mellow for a GSP? Just curious. They claim that their dogs have a mellowness to them. How is the pup doing on training? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

No its my 4th gsp,he is very calm compared to my others so far,as far as training I have just been teaching him the basics letting him have fun, he has great search ,intense point ,retrieves well and backs my other dogs well,I will take him to a pro trainer in April to finish him off

So I got a pup this weekend from Thunderhead. Thanks everyone for all the good info and suggestions. I did check with shooting star and they didn't have any pups til April. I wanted to get a pup born around November, October so he would be ready for the next season. Now the training begins. Does anyone know of a good book? I have gun dog now and it's a pretty good book, but he focuses more on labs then GSP's. Is there any decent GSP books? Thanks

Congrats on your new pup. As far as books go, Training With Mo would be my number 1 choice. If you want the best DVD set, go with Perfect Start/Perfect Finish from Jon Hann at Perfection Kennels. Personally, I would stay away from Gundog for pointing dog training.

Not meaning to put a sad note to your very happy thread, but thought some of those that commented might want to know, Doc Rieser who owned Shooting Starr passed away on Saturday. He did so much for the GSP breed and will be greatly missed by many.

Back