Winter Storm in the SW

bstark28

Well, 5 days till opener and I'm in a massive dilemma. Can any of you that may be from that area or know people that are, help fill me in? Yes, I know the SW got hammered last weekend, with Hettinger getting the worst of it. We have a trip planned, coming from the Eastern part of ND and we were going to be hunting the Mott/Regent area. What I am hoping for, is an honest answer as to whether or not it is even worth the 5 hour drive for my party, or if the storm basically buried everything in/around the heart of pheasant country? I appreciate any updates, guys. Happy Hunting. :cheers:

If you google "snow-cover,north dakota" a map will come up for your inspection. Only a small part of southwest ND has snowcover.

Good Luck!

UGUIDE said that his camp in Lemon, SD was reporting some pheasant mortality from the blizzard.

I spoke with my guy 10 miles North of Regent earlier today. His report is "the 6 inches of snow they received is gone and birds everywhere".

It's been in the 70's last couple days.
Bring the sun screen. And good hunting.

Have most of the crops been harvested? I heard because of the late growing season, many fields have not been cleared. Birds are spread out.

Small grains have been harvested. Silage corn is mostly out.
Sunflowers and most grain corn is standing.

We stayed to the south east part of the state, and as usual on opener, it was pretty heavily hunted. Every spot we usually go to had someone who had hunted it, or was on it already. We finally found a spot that looked promising, walked the entire 2 miles piece of land only to find hunters on the other side of it. On the way back, we found a spot where hunters had parked and obviously been through there before us too.

Surprisingly, the only birds we actually saw were 10 miles out of Fargo. This got us thinking, maybe the birds are moving closer to the fm area because people keep driving west and south to get birds :).

Once the crops are down, sloughs freeze and it gets too cold for most hunters to go out, that's when the fun starts. I will probably try to go during the week when there is less pressure.

Any reports on how the first weekend went? Pics would be appreciated.

We actually had really good luck. Group of 6 Saturday, and 5 on Sunday and got 31 birds, including a few sharpies. Should have had our limits both days, but some early season missing contributed to that. :) Saw a ton of birds where we were at, which was further North of where the major snowfall hit. I do have one interesting story to share....took a road SW of Mott (which had already been driven on that day) and ended up getting stuck, being as the roads were super sloppy from the melted snow and added rain. Had to walk 5 miles to the nearest multi-million dollar farmstead, where we were screamed at by the homeowners for driving on their roads. After about a 5 minute tongue lashing, which included complaining about their taxes being so high, they advised us that they'd pull us out for $1,000. Needless to say, we didn't have that much with us, so we were resorted to calling a towtruck from a nearby town that did it for $250. I grew up in a small town in NE ND not much bigger than Mott, and I know that 99% of the farmers would've done it either for free, or for a fraction of that cost. So much for small-town ND nice, I guess.

thats a shame!!! most farmers would not of took a dime but would of maid you feel like a dumb ass for drive n the road u did or how fast ETC. they would not bitch at you 1st any way maybe after they had to get a little muddy but 1,000$ tow i would of said more to that guy then no thank you i tell you that much & i would of said im not to blame for your high tax dont make me pay for it 1,000$ tow he can kiss my ass hes the same farmer that only care about $$$ & will pass that along to his kids so much for the future of ND wildlife i guess???

im happy to hear that story being that im heading to ND as soon as the corn comes off in a majority of the state!!! thanks for the good report bstark28

Last edited:
I have been reading reports daily and getting pretty excited about leaving. We always hunted the week following Veteran's day because we want the fields harvested. 17 days and counting until I leave.

yes plese direct us to the good ND reports??? bstark28 is the 1st good ND report ive read yet!!!???

im still going to ND once the crops come off & the cold is here cant wait i figure around OCT.29-NOV.8 ill be in ND can not wait ill be way away from fargo & west of the james river in real pheasant country ill send a report after the hunt 4 sure!!!

Post his name.

Honestly, I didn't even bother getting it, and the mailbox didn't have it on there either. I can give you the exact address though, if you'd like. :)

Truthfully, the way we were treated, I just wanted to get the hell out of there as quicly as possible, before I lost my mind. I've ran across some rude landowners over the years, but never anything like this.

Bstark28, Without being there, still it's almost certain that the people you encountered were some hunters from town or at least those local types that hate competition especially NR's.

The long time Landowners, unless transplants, almost
NEVER treat people that way. Exceptions? MAN! seldom.

In my 50 something years experience, you just don't see land owners, ranchers treating people that way.

Most will pull you out, have you into coffee/cookies after.
REALLY truest me, been stuck.

had a lady chase my down in SD while turkey hunting & yell at me not to shoot her turkeys or el pacas??? i asked u have barnyard turkeys? she said no the wild 1s are like my pets??? then she would not tell me how to get to the big silo we could both see from my vehicle??? i said mam can u tell me how to get to the road wear that old silo is over there? she looked at me like i was not speaking her language & said i dont know what silo u r talking about with a strait poker face! i said that 1 write there she repeated i dont know what u r talking about i said have a nice day & pulled away from that nut!!!

thats a shame there is people like that at all let alone people like that in farmland country usa i wonder what his deal was??? had a guy tell me he seen a sign on a back country road in SD that said i think it was 500$-600$ for a tow that guy must of been bothered quit a few times??? then again i seen a farmer in KS pull 3 out of state dummy out of a ditch with his tractor never asked for any $$$ or took a dime from the guys they went back & put $$$ in his mail box but that was a good ol boy in farm country!!! wish they all were like that???

We actually had really good luck. Group of 6 Saturday, and 5 on Sunday and got 31 birds, including a few sharpies. Should have had our limits both days, but some early season missing contributed to that. :) Saw a ton of birds where we were at, which was further North of where the major snowfall hit. I do have one interesting story to share....took a road SW of Mott (which had already been driven on that day) and ended up getting stuck, being as the roads were super sloppy from the melted snow and added rain. Had to walk 5 miles to the nearest multi-million dollar farmstead, where we were screamed at by the homeowners for driving on their roads. After about a 5 minute tongue lashing, which included complaining about their taxes being so high, they advised us that they'd pull us out for $1,000. Needless to say, we didn't have that much with us, so we were resorted to calling a towtruck from a nearby town that did it for $250. I grew up in a small town in NE ND not much bigger than Mott, and I know that 99% of the farmers would've done it either for free, or for a fraction of that cost. So much for small-town ND nice, I guess.

wow, what a chicken shit!

Back