Wild Birds

I have Dec 24th through the end of the year off...hopefully will be able to sneak in a few hunts before the end of the year after the Christmas festivities. I'll be hitting some of the public land in St Croix, Pierce, and Dunn counties and will report back w/ what I see (or don't see!)

Boots on the ground works again!

Tried a couple new spots today and it was really tough going early on. First 4 hours yielded 1 set of tracks and no birds. Kept going though and tried another spot. Immediately ran into some tracks and started working bird scent. Never flushed a bird but kept working the remainder of the property. Finally dog starts get birdy then heads into the marsh from the grass. I follow and tracks are everywhere going in all directions back and forth. Dog was locked in on one set and going to town so I followed. After about 5 minutes he's turned around and back tracking. I decided to give him a hand and brought him over to a set of tracks that went out to our left (only set in that direction). Dog got on those tracks and he was fired up in a hurry. After about 5 more minutes of plowing through chest high cattails I hear the sound I love so much, the cackle of a rooster. Dropped it and the dog made the retrieve. Hunted for another hour and unfortunately did not see another bird. Still a nice hunt. At the start of the season I was not sure if I would see a wild rooster and now the expectation is bagging one everytime out. It's ashame the season's almost over.

well done! I cant believe you have snow. We have nada. I was out for about 90 minutes this afternoon south of Lake Geneva and got skunked. No snow, no trax, no birds..
I need to find a map of this area so I know when Im getting close to boundaries. Something to make notes on too. Seems to be the only area on the DNR site that doesnt have a link to a map to print.

I may go back out tomorrow morning for a couple hours.

Seriously? You have snow? Youre just N of me

BTW, holy crap did I pick up the spent shells today, probably 2 dozen or so. Doesnt anyone pick up their shells anymore??

And another one bites the dust (no snow here, just frozen dust . . . lousy photo but an absolutely GRAND 10-month-old pup!):
IMGP0147.jpg

Last man standing from put-and-take

Only had about an hour and half to hunt today (this took alot of begging to squeeze out that much time) so I went down the road and tried to see if any released birds were smart enough to still be alive. Sure enough we were lucky enough to lock up on one next to the edge of a corn field. Man the dog is really dialed in right now, it's ashame the season is almost over.

Uplandhntr: there isn't any snow on the ground by my house but my new honey hole is still holding some of that white stuff.

Merry Christmas all and thanks for all the encouragement. It definitely helped turn the season around.

Last rooster I kilt came out from some pines much like presents under the Christmas tree. As I sit here reflecting on the season on this eve of Christmas it seems like that would be such a fitting end to the pheasant season and the year. It's been a fun season and if that rooster was my last of 2011 I couldn't complain but I have a burning desire to make another trip to the marshes in search of the birds.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas.

I hunted for two hours this morning in Bloomfield Wildlife Area and didnt see a thing again. All of the lots had trucks in them. I chose the lot with only two trucks. I hate to admit it, but the birds, or lack thereof, have won this year. I have not put up one single wild bird this year. Not one.
I may have a day or two the end of next week but It will take some effort to get me out again. No cold weather, no snow forcasted for the next 10 days, this is nuts. Worst year ever for me.

I agree but Being 10 minutes from home its easy to run over there vs not hunting at all. Time is limited this w/e with family festivities.

Got out to a different area yesterday and managed to put 2 roosters up. None in the pouch. Im so sick of this mild weather.. all of the plowed corn fields were muck by Noon yesterday. Dogs are an absolute mess right now.
Good to get my 2011 Rooster cherry popped-just before the end of the year.

Birthday Limit

Couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday than walking out in the field in a nice down pour of rain. Good news was the weather kept the other hunters out of the fields this morning. The even better news, the weather kept the birds holding tight.
We found 4 birds today in public non-stocked fields (2 roosters and 2 hens). Hunted for about 4 hours, it was my best day of the season thus far. 3 of the 4 birds were pointed. 1 of the hens did not want to have anything to do with getting pointed today.
Good luck to anyone going out tomorrow to celebrate the last day of the season!

Thats a heck of a birthday! Congrats! Im going to lock the door on the 2011 season tomorrow. Headed to that area but not... The other one. We're going to come home covered in mud but what are ya going to do? Sit home?

Was there any snow where you were or was it all rain?

Weather

It was all rain. Definitely had some mud involved for the dog and I. Only saw 1 other hunter out yesterday. The low pressure helped a ton.
Good luck today! I am going to try another new area today. I will let you know how it works out.

Excellent & belated Happy Birthday! 30th is my Daughter's b-day, also. I've been down for a week (vertigo, shakier-than-usual, lol), but am gradually improving. Need to get the pup back out. Your photo opened upside-down on my 'puter (or you've taught that good-looking GSP to stand suspended from the ceiling), but it is still a great pic of a great outing. Way to go! Fortunately, we can hunt here until 1/16 so I'm not done yet.

jim

Great 2011 Season

Well ended the season getting skunked today. We didn't even see a pheasant. We saw about 2 dozen other hunters (alot more out there today than I've seen out in 1 day for awhile)
The dog did slam one of the best looking points of the season though. He looked awesome and I went in to flush and just about kicked it before it flew but it was a huge hen turkey. Now that will get your heart pumping. Just the sounds of the wing flaps that close to you was something I will remember.
I learned alot in this first season in Wisconsin and I appreciate everyone's help.

Koja: Hope things turn around quickly for you. I look forward to living vicariously through your posts for the next couple of weeks.

Dad and Me went out for a couple hours with the Drahthaar. 2 hens was all we found.

Good season for me and hopefully a little rabbit hunting,grouse hunting,and predator calling left before spring turkey and fishing.

Back