Why winter requires ammo changes

Good reason to increase muzzle velocity! (that's a joke)
Great article.
I typically move from 5's to 4's late. And if all they let me have is 35-50 yard shots.....it becomes full choke time.
Now, with pheasants particularly, the birds do, on average, become tougher to kill as the season wears on, but it's not because of fat or feathers. It's because of the vast difference in average age. We shoot a lot of birds early on that might only be 4 months old. By the end of the season, those birds are 7 months old. A fully mature rooster is considerably tougher to kill than a smaller young one.

Last edited:
After hunting waterfowl in Canada for over 30 years I found an interesting fact that caused many misses while there. Canada uses the metric system so the birds fly in kilometers. I however am used to miles per hour. This changes your leads. Also our ammo is measured in feet per second. After finally adjusting to this difference I was able to bag some birds if I concentrated on the difference. When coming back to the good old USA I was again forced to re adjust my leads . This accounts for my not being the crack shot I think I should be. That's my story & I'm sticking to it !

Another great article by Tom Roster, I appreciate that he always has data to back up his statements. I took a steel shot class from him years ago, some of the best shotgunning information, I have ever been exposed to.

Back