Why is deer hunting so popular?

matto

There's lots of discussion on here about deer hunting: leases crowding out public access programs and private access, safety issues during the rifle season, priorities of the state wildlife agencies, inflated property values, deer hunters' disregard for the rights of other hunters to use public land, etc. It seems to come down to the fact that deer hunting is far more popular that upland hunting or waterfowling. I thought it might be interesting to discuss WHY it's so popular. Here are my thoughts:
  • Deer hunters buy more gear, which drives advertising revenue for the outdoor entertainment industry, which further drives popularity. (I think this is somewhat true for waterfowling too)
  • It's easier to "buy" real success.
  • There's a competitive side to it. (I'm not that competitive a person, so I might be inclined to call it "d*!k measuring")
  • The whole dog thing is complicated.
  • One lease or purchase of a single piece of land can keep a person busy all season.

What does everyone else think?

Part of it is access to huntable land, I think. Deer are able to thrive in a more diverse type of habitat than upland birds. They can live in prairie, timber, or a blend of both. They really do well in areas of the country that have a good mix of timber and agriculture. Wisconsin is a good example and they are often considered the "deer hunting capital" of this country.

Deer can also thrive in a suburban environment. I live in the suburbs and they are doing well here. There is a need to control their population here with special archery hunts because there are no natural predators around. There aren't any pheasants or quail here in the suburbs because there's no habitat that can sustain them.

I hunt deer (firearm only). I have for almost 30 years. I personally think it gets kind of boring though. I mostly stand hunt and wait. But the season is very short with a firearm compared to upland hunting, as its only 9 days long. Its not like I can just go a day next week, because the season is already closed. I try to take advantage of the limited opportunity when I can. Archery hunting has exploded in popularity too, and its a very long season. With the addition of crossbows, there will be more entering. I would consider it myself, but I don't have the time. I know a lot of people who deer hunt. I only know 2 other people who pheasant hunt.

There is a certain portion of the deer hunting crowd in it for the meat and a certain portion in it for the trophy/horns. If you shoot a deer and you have quite a bit of venison. If you shoot a couple roosters, you have one meal.

When I was younger I dreamt of big deer. Magazines were covered with pictures of big deer. And now you have social media. No matter how you prop it up a pheasant picture looks like any other pheasant . Now a big deer wow. I was never any good at it. And then there’s the social side , and the meat, and then the 10 point on the wall that would look a lot better with a 12 point beside it.
That’s one thing I don’t understand the whole taxidermy thing young guys seem like they want ducks and deer and pheasants and anything else that they have ever shot mounted and up on the wall.

I respect the guys that can routinely shoot big mature deer. They spend a ton of time before season prepping, scouting, watching cameras, food plots, shooting ect ect. Ive also seen relationships ruined over someone shot the other guys deer, stole the other guys soot, just our jealousy. I do enjoy watching the youtube show “the Hunting Public”. If we think public land birds get spooky, imagine pressured deer.
All that being said, Ive shot two deer in my life and will probably only take my boy out someday if he wants to go. Too many birds to shoot and coyotes to catch during November for me.

Part of it is access to huntable land, I think. Deer are able to thrive in a more diverse type of habitat than upland birds. They can live in prairie, timber, or a blend of both. They really do well in areas of the country that have a good mix of timber and agriculture. Wisconsin is a good example and they are often considered the "deer hunting capital" of this country.

Deer can also thrive in a suburban environment. I live in the suburbs and they are doing well here. There is a need to control their population here with special archery hunts because there are no natural predators around. There aren't any pheasants or quail here in the suburbs because there's no habitat that can sustain them.

I hunt deer (firearm only). I have for almost 30 years. I personally think it gets kind of boring though. I mostly stand hunt and wait. But the season is very short with a firearm compared to upland hunting, as its only 9 days long. Its not like I can just go a day next week, because the season is already closed. I try to take advantage of the limited opportunity when I can. Archery hunting has exploded in popularity too, and its a very long season. With the addition of crossbows, there will be more entering. I would consider it myself, but I don't have the time. I know a lot of people who deer hunt. I only know 2 other people who pheasant hunt.

There is a certain portion of the deer hunting crowd in it for the meat and a certain portion in it for the trophy/horns. If you shoot a deer and you have quite a bit of venison. If you shoot a couple roosters, you have one meal.
Great points about proximity of habitat to population centers and wider range of suitable habitat. There are entire states that used to offer reasonable or even good, albeit not great, upland hunting where recreational hunting opportunities are very, very slim.

The meat issue is interesting. Yes, there are "meat hunters" in the deer hunting world. IMO, they aren't the ones driving the stuff we're complaining about. Again, painting with a broad brush, IMO the deer hunters driving our complaints view the meat as a nuisance. Something to be given away. Regardless, meat packaged in styrofoam an plastic wrap is always cheaper than meat wrapped in fur or feathers.

Very strong FAMILY traditions rooted in deer hunting. When I taught hunter safety classes, 100% were participating in deer hunting. Bird hunting was less than 5%. Deer camp in WI is a traditional social event. It will always be #1 in popularity. Deer leases in other states has impacted my bird hunting, but our group has adjusted.

I think the dogs are the biggest part. It's much harder to go hunt birds without a dog (although it is possible). If you only have a week you can dedicate to hunting, having an energetic dog for the entire year isn't a great fit for the family if you don't have the time. Deer hunting can be done relatively easily once you've gotten a setup going.

Next on the list would be about being in shape. I think there are far more deer hunter than elk hunters and far more waterfowl hunters than upland hunters. If you aren't in shape, you can still be successful on deer and on waterfowl, but is much harder on elk and upland.

Deer hunting is physicalily easier. It can be done effectively on small acreage. Training and housing bird dogs is a big commitment financially and time-wise. I grew up in Wisconsin and live in Iowa. In Wisconsin even 30 years ago there were no serious pheasant hunters but deer hunting camp/culture was prevalent. There are some serious pheasant hunters in Iowa but it pails in comparison to the deer hunting culture.

People are obsessed with horns. Contrary to other opinions I don’t think “young guys” are more interested in horns or mounts than older guys. I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s in Wisconsin. Every guy had deer mounts, often more than one. The horn obsessions was started by guys who are now in their 60’s/70’s. Not that I think young guys are less interested. But old guys started the horn obsession and are just as interested in horns/mounts and posting grip and grins as any other age group.

Both my boys that are 19 and 23 hunt every thing possible except squirrels though that's where it started. They love to duck hunt and pheasant hunt but bow hunting for that big buck beats all. At least for now, desires sometimes change as we age. If they grew up when I did when pheasants were on every farm and deer were scarce in Iowa my boys hunting might be different.

When I moved to rural WI 35 years ago, it was pheasant and some duck hunting that drew me as sports.

Deer hunting was part social (so I could meet new people), and mostly "venison shopping."

There have been years where meat with a different flavor turned out to be beef, so accustomed to venison had I become.
Never developed a taste for horn.

Some years, if I didn't get a deer, I'd apply for a confiscated deer taken by DNR from some poaching or regulation violator. Pay a small fee, they'd drop off the carcass.

In 54 years, I've never hunted deer. Never considered having an animal/fish stuffed. Never seen a good buck & thought I'd like to shoot it. Once I had a bow & all the associated paraphernalia all picked out, thinking I might try archery hunting, but before I could pull the trigger, another shotgun tickled my fancy instead. I love seeing deer, & I like eating deer, but I have absolutely no interest in killing one. I don't get it. Much as most deer hunters look at me as though I have a 3rd eye in my forehead, when they learn that I'll trudge long distances through 18" of snow, when it's -10F & blowing 25 mph, to HOPEFULLY get a shot or 2 at a little bird with a big tail. And that I love it more than anything else & would do it every day of my life if I could.

i Grew up doing both. I loved deer hunting when I was younger. I was lucky to grow up on a farm with lots of quail Ive loved it since young too. I don’t deer hunt very much now. It’s barely hunting really, just sitting and waiting. I enjoy seeing deer, I’m just not invested enough anymore to sit and wait. Deer hunting is easier and a bigger ego boost. I’ve taken kids who just want to shoot a big buck, mostly to impress others. I get that, I’ve been there. I’d rather walk a field with my dog now. But I had to get the deer fever out of my system lol.

There's lots of discussion on here about deer hunting: leases crowding out public access programs and private access, safety issues during the rifle season, priorities of the state wildlife agencies, inflated property values, deer hunters' disregard for the rights of other hunters to use public land, etc. It seems to come down to the fact that deer hunting is far more popular that upland hunting or waterfowling. I thought it might be interesting to discuss WHY it's so popular. Here are my thoughts:
  • Deer hunters buy more gear, which drives advertising revenue for the outdoor entertainment industry, which further drives popularity. (I think this is somewhat true for waterfowling too)
  • It's easier to "buy" real success.
  • There's a competitive side to it. (I'm not that competitive a person, so I might be inclined to call it "d*!k measuring")
  • The whole dog thing is complicated.
  • One lease or purchase of a single piece of land can keep a person busy all season.

What does everyone else think?
It's the silliest dick measuring contest there is. They are great hunters, just ask them. They forget it takes a shooting house, corn piles, cell cams, crossbows and new day muzzle loaders to get it done. Facebook famous.

Last edited:
I'll used to be so ate up with pheasant hunting, it's all I did and thought about. But when the pheasant numbers started going South, I got into deer hunting and waterfowl hunting as well. I still pheasant hunt quite a bit but I also like to shoot deer and ducks too. Some of my best memories are deer hunting with my two kids on Papa's farm. Taking the boy out tonight for antlerless season, looking forward to it and venison is delicious too.

There are some deer hunters who are excellent outdoorsmen. But sadly, most are not. 25 years ago, my wife and I bought 20 acers of bare field. Farmed for a few years then started managing for wildlife. Neighbors to the south have 50 acers. They have some woods, but keep the rest mowed and manicured. The neighbors to the west have thousands of acers. They buy a farm a year. Then bring in the dozers and farm everything possible. Neighbors to the north have 20 acers mowed down like a golf course. It took them a few years to figure out that the deer were coming to our place to bed, breed and have their young. After a couple big boys were killed near the property lines, I started seeing trail cams pointed at the runs on our place!. Now the neighbor to the south has a stand at one corner, west neighbors have a condo stand 75 yards from the south neighbors stand. And now another condo at the corner of the north neighbor. North guy is a untrained kid sitting there with a 30-06 within 200 yard in plain sight of my house. He has about 20-yard safe shooting lane. Every other shot is at our house, down our lane, or his own house!!Last year a nieghbor a mile down the road asked if he could hunt the east field!! I can't safely walk around my own place during gun season! I've had it. Started clearing last week. I'm taking everything I can with the tractor, then the dozer's coming in for the rest. I hate it but I can't take it any longer. So, you can probably guess what I think of most deer hunters.

Back