Why I love labs

AKSkeeter

I started in the 1980s with a Visla, then English Setter, then I fell in love with labs.
I've owned at least 2 labs since the early 1990s.

I love their speed and biddability:
BirdieIncoming2.png

I love their endurance:
rock_ptarmigan_landscape.jpg

I love their toughness and ability to track cripples through gnarly landscapes:
Screenshot 2023-04-08 190544.png

I love their willingness to swim long distances in below freezing conditions:
winterhun.jpg

I love their versatility in all types of cover:
20240101_100258.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-26 174229.png
Screenshot 2023-09-21 044856.png
Screenshot 2023-07-27 161603.png

I love their biddability and ease of training with just 2 bumpers in a lawn environment or any pond:
Screenshot 2023-04-01 061156.png
I love their happy "let's do this boss" attitude:
Screenshot 2023-12-27 160153.png

Let's not forget how great they are just as pets too.

Mine is household member of the family for most of the year and spends a fair amount of time in the boat.

Attachments

• boat dog.jpg
    boat dog.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
  • happy dog.jpg
    happy dog.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 15
  • rufferee.jpg
    rufferee.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
  • woof.jpg
    woof.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 16
Great post & great pictures! Safe to say most (if not all) of us here are lovers of almost all dogs, but particularly bird hunting breeds. Yet it's interesting how a person's hunting style, expectations, home life, personality, etc. tend to guide him toward one certain breed.

Unlike some other breeds who can be aloof or downright obstinate, Labs look at you like they are trying to peer into your soul. It looks a combination of wonder, admiration and concern all rolled up in one look. I've always figured that the bases of their creation were first a desire to please, then a strong retrieving instinct. I've never owned one but have seen several. The first thing that I noticed was the way they looked at their people.

Funny thing about dog's eyes.
When I got my first Weim , I was telling my dad what I had gotten. I didn't know if he knew what a weim even was. First thing he says is " those damn yellow eyes".

I started in the 1980s with a Visla, then English Setter, then I fell in love with labs.
I've owned at least 2 labs since the early 1990s.

I love their speed and biddability:
View attachment 7581

I love their endurance:
View attachment 7589

I love their toughness and ability to track cripples through gnarly landscapes:
View attachment 7583

I love their willingness to swim long distances in below freezing conditions:
View attachment 7588

I love their versatility in all types of cover:
View attachment 7590
View attachment 7586
View attachment 7585
View attachment 7584

I love their biddability and ease of training with just 2 bumpers in a lawn environment or any pond:
View attachment 7582
I love their happy "let's do this boss" attitude:
View attachment 7587
AMEN!

Labs look at you like they are trying to peer into your soul. It looks a combination of wonder, admiration and concern all rolled up in one look. The first thing that I noticed was the way they looked at their people.
That really captured it Birddude.

Unlike some other breeds who can be aloof or downright obstinate, Labs look at you like they are trying to peer into your soul. It looks a combination of wonder, admiration and concern all rolled up in one look. I've always figured that the bases of their creation were first a desire to please, then a strong retrieving instinct. I've never owned one but have seen several. The first thing that I noticed was the way they looked at their people.
They can see into the soul.They are reincarnated warriors.

YES!
They do have different looks:

Intense:
intense.jpg

Goofy:
goofy.jpg

Adoring:
affection.jpg

Battle-scarred:
scarred.jpg

Relaxed:
relaxed.jpg