Why did you go with the breed that you did and have you been satisfied?

Abbeyroad

Typical winter off-season question, but usually pretty fun. Any shortcomings or areas of particular strength that you've noticed with you breed?

I started with a Visla, then English Setters, then for the past 30+ years labs.

I like labs because I can hunt a sea of cattails, forest grouse, alpine tundra or wide open western landscapes.
I can hunt the lab out at 200 yards or by my side depending on what I am hunting.
Plus labs are typically excellent on recovering cripples.

They are incredibly easy to train.

I started with a Visla, then English Setters, then for the past 30+ years labs.

I like labs because I can hunt a sea of cattails, forest grouse, alpine tundra or wide open western landscapes.
I can hunt the lab out at 200 yards or by my side depending on what I am hunting.
Plus labs are typically excellent on recovering cripples.

They are incredibly easy to train.
Labs for me too....what AKSkeeter listed.....their versatility, personality, drive, nose, intelligence, ability to socialize, desire to please and on and on.

I've only ever had one dog, its the current one I have. So in terms of having another breed to compare, I can't. I've hunted over other breeds, I've just never had one myself.

I can only tell you what I like and dislike with this dog. I like that she was a born retriever. All I had to do was reinforce it. I dislike the hair and the shedding.

I've been pleased enough to to continue on with a british lab as the next dog in a few years. Definitely a female again too.

Springer. Because I had a few growing up. Always just been THE breed to me. They will go through just about anything with a smile, get bloody, and then want more. They just keep going. Mine goes 100mph, Really have to be on your toes.

I took my dad out a few times this year and was kinda wishing I had a pointer ( or a slower dog) to slow things down a bit and try to get him in a position to shoot. if that makes sense.

Besides that no real particular shortcomings with the breed itself, maybe my dog and my training certainly. Exactly what I wanted though. A dog who loves to hunt, gets amped when she sees any hunting gear, and listens to me( for the most part haha)

Last edited:
Had GSP's for about 16 years, just recently bought my first Brittany....5-1/2 months....wanted something a lil smallers......so this adventure is just starting.....good so far!

Had GSP's for about 16 years, just recently bought my first Brittany....5-1/2 months....wanted something a lil smallers......so this adventure is just starting.....good so far!
I find this interesting. I have no experience with Brittanys except my in-laws. We got our latest GSP pup last spring, and she was born at the same time my in-law's litter of Brittanys was born. Both of their dogs dwarf both of our GSP's. But our girls are 45 or so pounds and their dogs are fat non-hunters. Still bigger in stature though. Taller, longer, and larger body (even when taking into account the fat they carry.)

Springer. Because I had a few growing up. Always just been THE breed to me. They will go through just about anything with a smile, get bloody, and then want more. They just keep going. Mine goes 100mph, Really have to be on your toes.

I took my dad out a few times this year and was kinda wishing I had a pointer ( or a slower dog) to slow things down a bit and try to get him in a position to shoot. if that makes sense.

Besides that no real particular shortcomings with the breed itself, maybe my dog and my training certainly. Exactly what I wanted though. A dog who loves to hunt, gets amped when she sees any hunting gear, and listens to me( for the most part haha)

My dad switched to a pointer a few years back. For guys that don't move so well, whether old or unathletic, a pointer is a good fit.

I find this interesting. I have no experience with Brittanys except my in-laws. We got our latest GSP pup last spring, and she was born at the same time my in-law's litter of Brittanys was born. Both of their dogs dwarf both of our GSP's. But our girls are 45 or so pounds and their dogs are fat non-hunters. Still bigger in stature though. Taller, longer, and larger body (even when taking into account the fat they carry.)
My shorthairs were 50 and 56 pounds, taller and extreme athletes, both were really built. I am hoping this brittany stays in the low 40's but time will tell. His mom is 40 i think and dad was 45

My shorthairs were 50 and 56 pounds, taller and extreme athletes, both were really built. I am hoping this brittany stays in the low 40's but time will tell. His mom is 40 i think and dad was 45
Shorthairs seem to have a huge size range. I've seen some top out at 40lbs, and other folks have said theirs are 75lbs. They seem a bit like labs or goldens in that way.

I have had many Labs and a couple GSPs. I like the labs because they are very competent pheasant dogs, one of the best waterfowl breeds, and just plain kick ass at retriever hunt tests and field trials. Lets face it they make really great companions too. If I only pheasant hunted a ESS would probably be the go to, but with all my other interests they are the only choice.
PS A couple of you may recognize the pudgy guy carrying the eagleheads in the goose picture
pheasant dog.jpg125 geese.jpgQA2 (2).jpg

I have had many Labs and a couple GSPs. I like the labs because they are very competent pheasant dogs, one of the best waterfowl breeds, and just plain kick ass at retriever hunt tests and field trials. Lets face it they make really great companions too. If I only pheasant hunted a ESS would probably be the go to, but with all my other interests they are the only choice.
PS A couple of you may recognize the pudgy guy carrying the eagleheads in the goose picture
View attachment 7722View attachment 7723View attachment 7724
Man seeing that black Lab makes me sad I had 3 over the years but the last one was the best. He wasn’t going to win any field trials but in the cattails finding birds I would have put him up against any. He flat out understood those fuckers and the tricks they play.

Because of the primary game close to me being Quail I was looking for a breed that would point and hold while still having a good natural retrieve. This past December I hunted with some guys that had some well seasoned, well trained Labs. At under two years old I would have to say she held her own with them. I was actually quite proud of her progress. Overall I am happy with her and look forward to her getting better. ( Gatzby I guess I am one of those versatile blood trailers now) 😂

Here she is watching football with me

Attachments

• B51F6458-AF55-44CE-AA63-93A1883674F5.jpeg
    B51F6458-AF55-44CE-AA63-93A1883674F5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
You guessed it, I like Goldens! I raise them, I like the look, mine are great retrievers and flushers. I fell in love with them before I was ever able to own a dog. When the time came I just naturally moved towards the breed. Now that I raise them it is fun to see so many people love the breed and enjoy them as companions. God made so many different breeds because we as humans have so many different tastes. I like hunting with other breeds and enjoy what each of them bring to the field.

Last edited:
Brittany. I chose the breed because my regular hunting buddy had a half brit-half springer that pointed and was otherwise terrific. I stuck with them because they are wonderful companions and splendid afield. I hunt open country so I need a ranging dog and brittanys fill that bill.

Good dogs come in all breeds. Costs the same to raise an above average dog as a below average dog. For me it’s a lab for waterfowl and a FB golden in the uplands. I buy the nose every time. My hunting friends ask how my goldens can find birds when there aren’t any. It’s not luck. Good subject banter here.

Shorthairs for the last 25 years or so. Wanted a Brittany pup back in 2001 and was having trouble finding one. Found some shorthairs and picked one out. Have had them ever since. Haven't really had a bad one in that span. Good dogs. Hunt primarily quail with a pheasant hunt mixed in here and there. Here's my ol Buddy who is now gone.

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 9
I was introduced to Goldens when I started dating my wife 50 years ago. Just stayed with them as they have worked out really well. About 25 years ago we started doing dog agility and have been really competitive with our fb Goldens. I sometimes wonder if I would be better off with a pointer at my age since a couple knee surgeries have slowed me down. The problem is that I seldom see pointers doing well in agility the exception being some visulas and weims both which are short haired and wouldn't do well where I live so I guess I will stick with Goldens until I really can't walk.

Back