Who needs a gun

I wish you'd call somebody to get it taken down. Our kids don't need that in their memory bank! I don't know that it's still alive, but if it is, it needs taken care of. Thanks!

Saw a small doe try to jump a fence the other night and she bounced off the top strand like a spring. Glad she didn't get hung up.

Hope this one died quick.... Not a nice sight.

I wish you'd call somebody to get it taken down. Our kids don't need that in their memory bank! I don't know that it's still alive, but if it is, it needs taken care of. Thanks!

its dead. I happen to know the guy who's house it was at. I gave him a call and his boys took it down and will use the meat. My daughter is 16 she will be fine

I sell commercial fencing for a living. Whenever we sell a large estate fence like this one, we try and encourage the residents to use a top without spikes. I have seen this a bunch over the years.

its dead. I happen to know the guy who's house it was at. I gave him a call and his boys took it down and will use the meat. My daughter is 16 she will be fine

Thanks for that:10sign: A lot of parents will appreciate your saving them from that explanation.

This might sound a little "tree huggerish" but why put spikes on a fence that tall? That poor deer must have experienced a horrible death!

Glad it was taken down.

I thought we were outdoorsman on here. Yes it looks horrible. This is nature in action.I find several deer a year in barbed wire fences in our pastures with a leg hung in top and next wire. I drive my pasture daily. Some we can get loose others the coyotes beat us to. It is called nature in real life.

This might sound a little "tree huggerish" but why put spikes on a fence that tall? That poor deer must have experienced a horrible death!

Glad it was taken down.

Doesn't sound tree huggerish to me it is horrible, and fences are man made nothing "natural" about them.

I thought we were outdoorsman on here. Yes it looks horrible. This is nature in action.I find several deer a year in barbed wire fences in our pastures with a leg hung in top and next wire. I drive my pasture daily. Some we can get loose others the coyotes beat us to. It is called nature in real life.

Turtle, Not sure where you were headed with this post, and I'm not here to step on toes or brow beat. however, the deer isn't on "here", it is along a major urban street that is travelled by children that are protected from the "natural" cycles that we live closely with. Their parents aren't prepared to explain such a grotesque scene to them and, we as sportsmen, should make the extra step to protect those young'uns from the despair it would cause. It is unfortunate that we create so many death traps with our infrastructure, but I expect it is an unavoidable consequence of our existence. Yes, we don't have to use the most dangerous designs, but some do. To predict such an occurrence when you were designing your homestead is a stretch. The least we can do is make sure it is dead at the earliest opportunity and taken down. If it is salvageable, that is a plus, but all too often it wouldn't be. It was a horrible death, but doesn't need to be left for all to see.

I run into instances where our peers create such situations with their hunting activity. Usually a mention that the passersby are also voters that could control the future of our sport is enough to modify their displays. We do have to remember we are a minority and the sport is a privilege that can be taken away. It is usually quite simple to not gross people out by our activities. Things like removing bloody clothing before going into the gas station or restaurant, or making sure our harvest isn't displayed for the non-hunter to observe are enough to make our activity unobjectionable to the folks around us. This deer's death was brutal and tragic. Surely we can reduce that for the folks that haven't seen it yet by making sure they don't. Again, not jumping on anyone, you just bought up a good talking point. Thanks!

It is gone didn't mean to offend anyone. I get to see it a bunch. We get calls a few times a year as people put more and more of these up in urban areas. We try to encourage people to not use spike tops on their fence, especially anything over about 4 feet.

Thanks. Might ought to save that for prospective buyers. Picture is worth 1000 words may fit here.

Back