which shocker

dakota hunting

i am training my first pup and i took her out on a junior pheasant hunt and some of the other trainers said a collar would be a good training tool to get.

Which ones should i look for?
does anyone have an old collar looking for some money for a new one?

i was in your same shoes about a year ago too! i went with the sportdog 400s model works great for me! and wasn't too bad on the pocket compared to alot of other ones on the market. It cost me 180 brand new at bass pro. its a little cheaper if you get it online.

It has a continuous stimulus, nick, and a beep :) and it took about 1 hour to train him on the collar :-D now i never have to shock him simple single beep means too far come back. Thats the only command he knows from the collar, but thats the only one i need him to know. :) The range isn't that great, Sportdog claims it works out to 400 yards, but with my experience its good for about 200, if you have your dog under control he would never get outside of 100 yards..just my opinion.

here is a link if your interested.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0019324000000

I'll go with the Sportdog or a Tri-tronics before all else. I have had the service from Sportdog, their customer service is the best I have found..........Bob

tri tronics

sportsman basic g3. great collar and superb customer service. bought it this summer to start getting pup use to it. thought it was going on the fritz week before opening weekend in ks, called tritronics (cabelas only exchanges up to 60 days) and the tritonics agent was going to send me a loaner for the season while they fixed the other one. was offering to overnight it so i would have for the opener....highly recommend.

I have the Dogtra upland shock/beeper call and I am really impressed with it so far. I also have the Tri-tronics pro 100 and have never had any problems with that. I have had Innotek in the past and was not to impressed with them. Innotek might have fallen off the place of the earth, I have not heard much about them in the last couple of years.

I have had Innotek in the past and was not to impressed with them. Innotek might have fallen off the place of the earth, I have not heard much about them in the last couple of years.

Innotek was purchased by Sportdog a few years back. I know because I own Innotek. Surprisingly, the customer service from them has been very good. They have offered me a reasonably priced upgrade, however they do not offer a tool that will handle my remote bird launchers or backers. I am in, so to speak, Death Valley, so am always on the lookout for the next oasis.

What concerns me about Sportdog (my brother has one, and I have looked at other models), is that I don't think they offer a replaceable battery model - I think they are all rechargeable. The problem there is that they expect you to put it on a charger every month - but don't dare overcharge it - whether you need to use it or not. I don't need a collar year 'round. I'd much rather have a device that meets my needs, instead of me having to meet the tool's needs. Perhaps Sportdog sells different models - some of you may be able to enlighten me. I hope they do.

Generally speaking, I think Tritronics makes a good product. They have always seemed to be more expensive, but that should probably tell me something. Sometimes, I'm slow. :) I am glad to hear good things about Dogtra as I didn't know much about them.

It seems to me this is still an emerging market - it doesn't seem anyone makes the tool all others compete with. That tells me we make a decision depending upon our breed or even the individual dog(s) we are dealing with when we go to market. That's not the optimal position to be in as a consumer as we all know dogs come and dogs go, and the requirements for each may be very different. Just my thoughts.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Mark

Tri tronics and dogtra make the best. More expensive but when you hit the button they work. The main thing is correction levels. It has to be controllable each time. When you turn the dial on the remote to a certain correction level it needs to be consistent. This is not always so with the cheaper Chinese models. Anything manufactured by pet safe is manufactured in china to keep cost down. Lower cost means lower quality components which equals less reliable products. Sport dog, innotek, petsafe are all made in china. Tri tronics and dogtra made and supported in USA.

Tri-tronics and Dogtra have been favored by most for some years now. With a pointing dog I would suggest getting a model with a beeper that can be controlled from the transmitter. Dogtra's new train and beep model (2500 series) has had some real battery problems and their beeper design (under the chin instead of on top of the neck) creates a problem with range of hearing. Their older 2000 series is much better and many hunters have ditched their new 2500's and gone back.

First of all though--you need to ask if your pup is ready for an e-collar. If I read your posts right he's only 5 months, maybe 6 months old, right?

Some pups are ready for an e-collar then, some aren't.

I like to see my pups have quite a bit of the standard OB and some field training under their belt first--and show me they are able to handle a bit of pressure in training--before using the e-collar. It's best to use the e-collar to reinforce KNOWN commands or behaviors rather than to teach them.

E-collars are great in the hands of a handler who knows how to use them. They can make things go wrong in a hurry if used incorrectly. At this time in your pups life it's important to have a training plan. Figure out which method you want to use and what works for you. Then learn how to insert the e-collar into your training. If this is your first time training a dog or using an e-collar hiring the services of a pro to get you started can really help.

Good to Hear from a Woman Hunter

Tri-tronics Has been good for me . I just replace my old one after 9 years

Good to have a woman hunter weighing in on this forum. Welcome.

Shock Collars

There are one or two existing threads discussing shock collars that you might want to visit. I just got a new collar, a Dogtra one dog new for $175 on the internet. Both the transmitter and receiver are light. I like the transmitter's three buttons: vibrate, nick, and current -- that set up eliminates having to move a switch to change modes.

I would suggest a DVD by George Hickox Training Pointing Dogs. Has a great volume on e collars. Get dvd for new dog owners as well as old. If you have had a dog or several dogs you make mistakes. The main thing is learn from them and move forward..

Anyone looking for collars for a reasonable price should always check the "Collar Clinic" first.

Go here: http://www.collarclinic.com/ then click on "Reconditioned trainers".

They usually have some reconditioned collars for sale. These are name brand collars that have been refurbished with new parts.

Last edited:
your thread title and phrasing scares me.
Please be careful how you train with it and use it afield

You're not the only one!

Buying a collar, strapping it on the dog and pushing buttons is a sure-fire way to ruin (not to mention abuse) a dog. Please get professional training before you go further. (FWIW, knowledgable trainers don't refer to them as "shockers" or "shock collars")

One e-collar company I suggest you shy away from is DT Systems. The unit I have, edt-200, has been a problem since year 2. You will be happier if you do not have to learn the lesson I have regarding their products.

One e-collar company I suggest you shy away from is DT Systems. The unit I have, edt-200, has been a problem since year 2. You will be happier if you do not have to learn the lesson I have regarding their products.

That was my first collar. Nothing but trouble. Interestingly enough I bought it from Collar Clinic and they were NOT helpful in dealing with the problems...

DT Systems Collars a Problem

I, too, have had difficulties with DT Systems collars. They have proven unreliable, the company charges too much for repairs, and they are not as well designed as other collars. I happily threw both mine away this season when I got my new Dogtra one-dog which is a dandy unit, new for $175 on the internet.

Back