Which one for the best results and price.

David0311

Pro Plan Performance, Victor, or Country Vet?

OH BOY--

Here we go :rolleyes :)
Almost sure to start arguments--and strong opinions--:confused:

Personally I feed Pro-plan performance/sport--would guess 70% or better of the Retriever Pro's that I've be around use this food--as a note Purina is a great supporter of the sport and great sponsors--

I do supplement even that during the pheasant season to keep weight up and mostly as a inducement to eat a little more--

Now that I don't trial I do feed Pedegree when not training hard--like winter while in AZ. Home--

Switched them over to PRO-PLAN about a month ago as training intensity was stepped up

JMO

The one that your dog does the best on. Not all dogs do the same on all foods.

I don't feed any of those 3 but I would start with Pro Plan if I was going to change.

Tim

David0311

The one that your dog does the best on. Not all dogs do the same on all foods.

I don't feed any of those 3 but I would start with Pro Plan if I was going to change.

Tim

I should have added about what the dog does best on--Thanks

Old Roy or Big Red. Whichever is on sale.

Are you serious? Ol' Roy from Walmart is probably one of the poorest dog foods on the market. There are a lot better foods for not much more money. How poor is Ol' Roy? Well the animal shelter in the community I use to live wouldn't even take it when donated.

Are you serious? Ol' Roy from Walmart is probably one of the poorest dog foods on the market. There are a lot better foods for not much more money. How poor is Ol' Roy? Well the animal shelter in the community I use to live wouldn't even take it when donated.

It was good enough for Sam Walton's birddog:D. I am a Diamond Dog food man. I've been to the plant in Meda, MO. You would be amazed at the ingredients that goes in it. The meat hanging in that place, especially the lamb looks like something I would like to eat.

15 years ago I never wouldve DREAMED Id be spending the amount of $$ on dog food that I do. Bags keep getting smaller and the prices keep going up!

You should feed what your dog does best on, based on physical performance, coat, and digestion (including good stool).

I use Pro Plan sport 30/20 year round. I also train hard year round. It's what works best for me. After I made up my mind on the criteria I needed for dog food, my wife and I looked at all the available brands, figured out the kcal/cup, and then estimated how many cups we'd need to feed based on the caloric requirements of my dogs. On a per day basis, Pro Plan was the cheapest even though the bag itself was the most expensive of the brands we compared.

So don't get caught up on the price of a bag... eating 3 cups from a $41 bag is cheaper than eating 6 cups from a $35 bag.

Also, I've heard good things about Kinetic.

Pro Plan Performance, Victor, or Country Vet?

When you ask a question like this you will probably get answers from other based on what they are feeding. So back to your question. Probably any of the 3 would work well for you and like others have said it depends mostly on how your dog does on a particular food. So unless you try feeding each for several months it's hard to determine that. You cannot go wrong with ProPlan. Of the 3 I would lean towards ProPlan or Victor. Not that Country Vet isn't a good food but based on the ingredients in each I would say ProPlan and Victor are superior. Lets us now which you decide to try.

I fed victor last winter without any complaints. If your still down there you probably know it is bigger in the south. I imagine you'll save a little bit. In the off season I've always fed diamond to both because my old dog did well on it. She's gone now so...I don't know ,, he did well on Eukanuba growing up. 2 dogs before liked pro plan. It's really a crap shoot you'll have to figure out for yourself what is good enough.

Agree on it can be a dog by dog thing...my Britt didn't do well on Diamond, it upset his stomach and the end result wasn't pretty :eek: My cousin, feeds his Braque the same stuff and he does great. I settled on Taste of the Wild and he's done great, solid stools and stays fit/trim.

Do your research and feed what is best for your dog. I feed Kinetic. Met the owner at Pheasantfest last year. He took the time (about an hour!) to sit with me and explain every ingredient in the food, where it comes from and why it is in there. My dog does great on it. I feed the lower fat in the summer and switch to the higher protein/higher fat mix during hunting/testing season.

Back