which o/u

I am going to get an o/u here soon with my tax refund. I was looking at the Browning citori model. Is there any particular gun i should look at? I was thinking something in 12 guage maybe? Oh i have a question, i have recently been getting into skeet and trap shooting could i buy a sporting model and use it for hunting also, or should i just get a field model?

Hunt for pheasant and quail! Thanks.

Edgar

I like Citori's but in 12 ga. they can get quite heavy (8 lbs.) unless you get the Citori 625 Feather that weighs in at 7 lbs. Beretta would be another option to look at.

If your main use is hunting I would stay with a field model which will also serve you well on the skeet or trap range.

No doubt you can use a sporting model shotgun for upland hunting, the weight may prove to be a bit much for a long day afield walking. Sporting models are usually around 8 pounds in the Citori sporting models to alllow for a lot of shooting and correspondent recoil. Feather models are a pure thrill to carry and I have not been adversely affected by recoil while shooting targets and light loads. At about 6.25 pounds in 12 ga. Browning superlight feather, I sure am glad that's what I'm carrying late in the day. I have lighter Brownings in 20ga., but I like the 12 in this configuration. Good problem to have, buying a new gun! Good Luck.

You're opening a can of worms...I don't shoot Citoris well but have a Cynergy Feather I shoot great. My fav 12 O/U hands down is my '73 Winchester 101. A little heavy but shoes like a dream. My brother bought the new 101 lightweight and it's great. Good Luck!

You're opening a can of worms...I don't shoot Citoris well but have a Cynergy Feather I shoot great. My fav 12 O/U hands down is my '73 Winchester 101. A little heavy but shoes like a dream. My brother bought the new 101 lightweight and it's great. Good Luck!

I don't mean to open a can of worms!! I was just thinking what the best option would be for my first o/u!
I appreciate the help everyone.

You can't go wrong in a Browning. I have had all the Browning O/U's pretty much, Cynergy, Citori and Superposed. I have all three flavors right now. I would look at the Cynergy myself but if you have to go old school, give the Citori a wing. They are long lasting reliable guns you will have a hard time waring out. a little heavy but if you can get past that. You will have a very good gun for a long time. I like the lightweight feather model in the Cynergy myself

Sorry, didn't mean that in a bad way...just meant you will get many good and some questionable opinions from this group. Again, good luck on your choice. Trust me, I have 2 Cynergy's, 2 SKB's, a 101, and a Ruger...all O/U's and all good shooters so you can't go wrong with just about any choice.

Look around, if you're lucky, you might find one of those o/u with the barrels side by side. Really nice shotguns!:D

I would go out and shoulder several different guns. It really helps deciding which gun to go with, and some gun dealers will let you shoot them. I like the cynergy myself, though I don't own one yet. Good luck on your search. :thumbsup:

I have an assortment of sxs,o/u's and others. If I had to shoot for money or to save my hide, I'd pickup the Winchester SX-2 light. Essentially the same gun as an SX-3, or the Browning Gold Fusion. It fits like a glove, and I never seem to miss. With what you save on the gun you can pay for, and join me in therapy, to reassure yourself that you are not inferior to those toting o/u's and sxs's. Why limit yourself, if you buy the autoloader now, it just gives you more time,shopping, and anticipation of the next purchase, the o/u of your dreams.

I have an assortment of sxs,o/u's and others. If I had to shoot for money or to save my hide, I'd pickup the Winchester SX-2 light. Essentially the same gun as an SX-3, or the Browning Gold Fusion. It fits like a glove, and I never seem to miss. With what you save on the gun you can pay for, and join me in therapy, to reassure yourself that you are not inferior to those toting o/u's and sxs's. Why limit yourself, if you buy the autoloader now, it just gives you more time,shopping, and anticipation of the next purchase, the o/u of your dreams.

Haha i like that! I was looking at the cynergey and they run around two thousand bux. The sx3 runs at about thousand and i was thinking the same thing! Buy now and save for a cynergy. Just gives me an excuse to buy me another shotgun lol!

was at cabelas here in kansas city ks. Seen a winchester sx3. Anyone heard of it? I really liked it. Anyone use one here?

Thanks.

Since the SX3 is a semi-suto shotgun and this thread is about O/U's you might want to start a new thread in this forum and ask your question about the SX3.

Since the SX3 is a semi-suto shotgun and this thread is about O/U's you might want to start a new thread in this forum and ask your question about the SX3.

Just wanted some imput from other owners. Thanks.

I sure did like the cynergey and the citori its going to be hard decision. They are almost the same in price not much diffrence there. I have seen the mossberg reserve and stoeger condor models. Would the mossberg reserve be a better choice than a stoeger condor? Thanks.

Hey oldandnew...I just handled a SX2Light and you are dead on! That gun feels great and fits like a glove.

JMc, I shot two legitimate triples on single covey rises with that gun not a straggler rise but a regular everybird for itself rise. Now if I could just get one with hand detachable sidelocks, I think I would get married to it.

I personally have had and like the Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U better then the Condor. IMO, better fit, finish and performance. My son still have my Silver Reserve and it has been flawless over the last 3-4 years.

I have handled and shot the SX3 and love it. It seems to almost just point and shoot itself. I don't know, but I love it. Only downfall I have read about it the chamber doesn't always cycle probably with 2 3/4" shells and it gums up in cold weather, which is apparently in most autoloaders when not properly maintained and lots of shells going through it.

Browning 625 Citori

I am shooting better than ever in 20 years of upland hunting with my new Browning 625 Citori (12 ga.). It seemed I could hardly miss last season and it came so easily. The first time I shouldered it at the store, it seemed to come up for me like no other gun. But I suppose we're all a bit different in how we're built and how we see along and beyond the barrel.

The 625 has a prominent pistol grip, schnabel forend, a raised ventilated rib holding two bead sights that you stack for proper pointing, Packmyer recoil pad, and will shoot 3" shells. Mine has 28" barrels but you can get 26" too.

Before the 625 I shot (less well) a Citori White Lightening (12 ga.) with a straight stock, schnabel forend, no recoil pad, and 24" barrels. Best of luck in finding a gun that you like.

Last edited:
I have shot the SX-2 in all conditions always with 2 3/4", all varieties from light standard 3 1/4 -1 - 8's to high velocity of one form or another. Mine has a 3" chamber, but I have never used them. Gun functions as it should, and cycles extremely fast. I have heard all manner of bad cycling reports on autoloaders, clear back to the 1100. Never ever, have I had one not perform. The new "in vogue" torture tests of "high volume" dove shooting to prove the worth of a gun, is from a real world perspective, nonsense. Your nose will be bleeding from concussion, and you'll be ready to quit long before the gun gums up. Now if you want to shoot "garden" shells, downloaded to popper status, I would use a double with double triggers or a mechanical trigger, a lot of doubleguns will not fire the second barrel if it has an enertia trigger, using ultralight loads.

Back