which gun

dakota hunting

I am looking for the gun to have for the rest of my life which do you prefer or suggest.

Because of price and quality i am looking at:
1. Browning Silver
2. Remington 11-87
3.Super Black Eagle II
4.Vinci
5.Baikal M153

Keep price in mind i am young with my first job

I bought a Browning Silver during the off season and it handles very nicely. I would give it two thumbs up.

:10sign:

I'd go sbe2. Proven gun, they feel nice in my hands and 3.5 inch capability if you ever want it for turkeys, coyotes or waterfowl. Course its hard to beat an 870 for a gun for the rest of your life if you aren't stuck on a semi auto.

I'm a huge fan of the SX line from Winchester. I have always hunted with Winchester and like how they handle. My buddy has a SBE II that he absolutely loves and will never go back to another gun. Best thing to do is do your homework, go to a gun shop with barrel length in mind and test different brands. With your chosen barrel length practice mounting the gun and acquiring your bead. How does the gun feel after 10 or 15 mounts? Make sure that YOU are comfortable with how the gun fits you and feels to you. This is a tough decision to make but just remember, even if you buy a lower budget shotgun, keep it clean and lubricated and it should last you forever. Whatever you decide to go with, congrats on the future purchase and good luck in the field...

Last edited:
Buy the one that feels right in YOUR hands! They are all good guns and you will have so many suggestions that you will be more confused in the end then when you started this thread. Plus if you are like the rest of us, it won't be the last gun you'll ever buy.

I'd go sbe2. Proven gun, they feel nice in my hands and 3.5 inch capability if you ever want it for turkeys, coyotes or waterfowl. Course its hard to beat an 870 for a gun for the rest of your life if you aren't stuck on a semi auto.

I have a SBE for 9 years never had a problem love the gun.

no dought here

I was going to get the sbe 2 but i grabbed the banelli cordorba, wow def worth the extra 200 not this week but next i get it! only took me 2months to save but im going to get what i want. Also try pulling it up and aiming and loook how quick you are to find that bead best i have ever seen!

I think Jim gave the best advice, Go with the gun that you can shoulder quickly and accurately. Swings like a dream, and feels like it is an extension of your arm. I have a Rem.11-87 and is a very good gun. But go to gun dealer that has the guns you listed and test them. The one that fits the criteria the best is the one you should buy......Bob

I would agree with Bob and the rest of the guys. Buy something that fits good and feels just right for you. There are lots of good shotguns on the market.

I am looking for the gun to have for the rest of my life which do you prefer or suggest.

No one has asked, nor have you indicated, what you plan to use the shotgun for. What type of hunting? If it's only going to be used for upland birds then there certainly isn't any need for a 3 1/2" gun.

I've had several auto loaders and now have a Benelli. I prefer the Benelli with the Inertia System because it doesn't get dirty like the gas systems and I have found it to be more reliable, especially in cold weather.

But let us know the intended use and we can advise you further.

i primarily hunt ducks and fly by large geese. the 3 1/2 is not a need but helpfull.
however i do love a good dove hunt so a gun that can shoot low base dove load is needed

I'd opt for the Super Black Eagle II. For what you want to use it for the SBE II would be tough to beat. 3 1/2" for those large geese and yet it will handle those dove loads.

I'd opt for the Super Black Eagle II. For what you want to use it for the SBE II would be tough to beat. 3 1/2" for those large geese and yet it will handle those dove loads.
The SX3 will accomidate you for those needs as well...:D

SBE will suit your needs if it fits you (and with synthetic stock it is very adjustable). If you're at that price range why not also shoulder a Beretta Xtrema II. I'm on my fourth season with one and love it for waterfowl. THe corrosion resistance is incredible (I hunt the salt mud of the bay of fundy). I don't like it much for upland though - it's got a great swing once you get it going, but it's a bit of a tank.
Given your current interests though, if you get one of those semis you are set for life, although I predict that you will end up (maybe when you get your first promotion!) buying something different if you're into upland. If you want to buy ONE GUN and never buy another (sounds crazy to me, but hey!) I'd maybe lean towards the 11-87 if it fits you nicely. IMO it would be a more pleasing upland gun and still do the trick just fine for your ducks and geese.
-Croc

Last edited:
Back