Which do you prefer for wild plains phez?

Which do you prefer for wild plains phez and why?

• O/U

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Semi-Auto

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Pump

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • SxS

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters
All I use anymore is my '60 Belgium Sweet Sixteen. I'll bet if this question had been asked 50 years ago the pumps would of been gun of choice by 90% of the hunters. Times do change. :)

I have a browning Superlight feather O/U in 20 gauge. Light to carry, and I shoot it really well. Cant imagine the alloy receiver wont last me until I'm too old to follow the dog around. Love the English stock.

That's what I have been reading about the alloy in O/U's.

I have been shooting 20 ga the last few years because of the lighter weight and reduced recoil, however it is becoming increasingly hard to find non tox shot in the local stores for 20 ga. Everything seems to be 3" steel. That has me thinking of going back to the 12.

Jerry, how do you like your Citori Feather?

I really like it but usually take one of my older guns if the weather is going to be nice. My scale says it is 7 lb 6 oz so "feather" may be a bit of a misnomer.
The Brownings seem to fit me better than Berettas do although I tried a few shots with a friends Citori Super Light and couldn't hit anything with it.

I am heading to ND on Monday if the weather permits and I think the Feather will see some action.

Merry Christmas,
Jerry

The only browning I've ever owned I'd Z 1929 a-5 mag. 30 inch full.My dad gave it to me when I was 15. It was the only gun I owned for years. What a great, dependable gun. Havnt shot it in 10 years, maybe it's time...

I started out with a 20ga Browning Superlight. It had fixed chokes. Then I moved to a 12ga SxS Diarms Derby for a few years. I returned to a Superlight in 1990 when I bought a Upland Special. I have run that gun every season since then. It has seen a lot of action and has killed a lot of wild prairie birds. I had bought a 28" Superlight in 2000 to shoot sporting clays with but it became a safe queen until just recently when I started using it on pheasants.
I've been using a Browning Superlight for most of my shooting career and cannot envision myself shooting anything different....

Last edited:
Carried a 12 ga 870 for several years after getting rid of an 1100 Jam-o-Matic. Switched to a Beretta M391 that I consider to be a virtual pheasant magnet. Always found birds when I carried that gun. The last year or so I've switched to a Dickinson Estate 16 ga SxS. 6 lbs 12 oz of pure joy for this old timer. Straight grip, double triggers, and choke tubes make it a versatile tool for the uplands. Handles my 1 1/8 oz #5s reloads with great patterns and hammers those roosters foolhardy enough to get up within 40 yards or so. Always felt like the 391 was somewhat bulky, this SxS sure feels good in comparison

I'm a SxS guy. A Fausti DEA 16b, and an AYA 4/53 in both 12 and 20b take care of my needs. I've carried all three this year and killed wild pheasant with each one of them. Mine all have double triggers and straight stocks, I wouldn't have them any other way. Mine all have fixed chokes, the 16 and 12b both have I/C and modified and the 20b has modified and full chokes and I've never felt hampered by only having two shots.
AM

I use 16ga sxs. Light to carry at 5.5-6lbs. Classic bird gun. Double triggers. I shoot mine well.I enjoy seeing them in my hands and in photos.
^^nailed it. My go-to is an Ithaca Flues 16, IC and mod choked about 6-1/2 pounds and double triggers so I can pick the best choke for the distance of the flush. I just picked up a Citori in 16 that will give the old Ithaca a run for the money though.

I was a semi auto guy - only use a SXS now - way lighter and I only need 2 shots anyways. I shoot one bird at a time - I've lost enough trying to be greedy and get a double - so shoot one, find it and hunt some more for the next one over a point.

Only would go for a double if the universe aligns and the terrain/conditions are right for attempting one (ie I stoned the 1st bird and it fell in open ground), next one gets up like a report double over the same terrain - so far haven't had that chance in 10 years or more.

A true double, is where both birds get up at the same time. Very difficult.

I started with a pump and have tried the O/U, autos and SxS. I like the Side x Side best for both their classic styling, weight and shootability. I prefer the 16 ga. for all the reasons that everyone else does.

Early season Beretta 303 20 ga or Browning BPS Upland Special 16ga.
Late season Winchester SX3 12ga or Beretta AL390 12ga.

Mine is an old beat up, made in Japan, Browning A5 lite with screw in chokes. My dad gave it to me on my 40th birthday and he bought it at a sherrif's sale. The gun was really neglected and had the choke tube frozen in place and the tube that was stuck was a skeet tube. One day i went to a private preserve where the birds are put and take and i went 5 for 5 with that choke. Granted these weren't wily wild birds but still i was quite surprised at how effective that skeet tube was. Had to send that barrel to three different gunsmiths to get the choke tube out. Finally a guy in Georgia got it out and cleaned up the threads. It went from Washington state, to Wisconsin and then to Georgia. I really love that gun but its so doggone heavy that i take my 20 gauge o/u sometimes just for a break! :)

Back