Wheres the elk?

cowdog

I gotta tag that says I should be elk huntin today but cant seem to gather the energy to go. I just might eat the tag and save my money for birds...........:eek:

Ya Im probably goin up tomorrow for a couple days. Not gonna kill myself If i dont get one but the damn things alway seem to jump out in front of me.

Dang! I have 4th season tags, thus the reason I am not hitting birds till second week!!!:(

I dont know that your gonna be missing much by not going untill the second week. By the weather outlooks maybe some harvesting can get going good by than. Guess you will miss some opening day dumb roosters but that only lasts about uh 15 seconds. :cheers:

Good point! It did work out great for me last year! I went out for the first time on the Tuesday after opener and saw only one other group of hunters all day!!:thumbsup:

I found the elk where are the birds?

We had a great year for big game around Kremmling. We got 4 deer and 2 cows this year (check out the pics). The elk were definetly up high due to the warmer temps so we had to do some hiking to find them. Last year the pheasant did me dirty and I was skunked. I will be in the fields opening day hoping to bag one of the dumb cocks. Heading up next Sunday to do some scouting and try my luck securing some priviate land.

Brian

Nice!!!:thumbsup: Meat for the beast!:D

Nice pics Ringneck! Thanks for sharing. Hope you have as good luck with the 747's as you did the big game.:cheers:

Yeah, I spent the entire week of Nov 2nd elk hunting. They out smarted me again. I came so close a couple of times, but couldn't seal the deal. A guy we were hutning with missed a 6x6; can you believe that? :eek: He was on the run and it was a far shot, but still, it breaks your heart.

any big bulls

Hey ringneck i will take you pheasant quail hunting if you take me elk hunting do you ever see any big bulls?I used to go to the gunnison area but never done any good seen cows was all.

Nice animals there Ringneck. I was in Kremmling this summer for a family reunion and really enjoyed the area.

Unfortunately, I had to turn my 4th season tag back in this year, but have Colorado elk on my 2010 schedule. This year I will be satisfied if I can put a Kansas cow elk in the freezer.

I've hunted elk in Colorado since 1989. Been out there 10 times in the past 20 years and harvested 8 elk. All unguided hunts. Plus I'm 1 for 1 in South Dakota. Either I'm really good or really lucky?? :) I think a little of both. I haven't been out since 2006 and am sitting on 4 preference points. Guess I better get out there while I can still hike the mountains. At age 63 there might not be too many years left. It's just that as I've gotten older my zest for elk hunting has diminished. But I'll never get tired of hunting pheasants behind my Brittanys here in SD.

I will not make all of y'all suffer as I did all the folks on the other boards I frequent, but I will say I had a wonderful elk hunt despite wussing out three days early due to snow and a busted up tent.

The camp and tent that is no more!
20091107_02.jpg

The hay fields where I had a herd of 250-400 each day all to my self! (depending on the day)
20091109_23.jpg

The ridgeline above the hay where IT went down! (30 yds shot!)
20091109_24-1.jpg

....AND "The Finish"!
20091111_40.jpg

Along with the 9 hour drive home!
20091113_60.jpg

20091113_64.jpg

She sure is yummy!

I shoot a .340 Weatherby:D

Back