When to hunt feed fields.

Zeepo

This weekend we saw birds flying into the milo right at first light, normally I wait until later in the morning to hunt feed fields. What is the right time to hunt feed fields in morning and in the afternoon?

Zeepo

When the birds are in there ;) I have always walked grass edges or the transition cover early in the morning to catch the birds going to feed. Once they are in the feed expect them to stay there awhile until they get thier fill, then they will move back to the grass to loaf for the day. Most birds will spend an hour or so in the field at first light and return to the grass unless pressured. You will do well to hunt the edges at first light and the grain fields after until they have gone back to the grass.

When the birds are in there ;) I have always walked grass edges or the transition cover early in the morning to catch the birds going to feed. Once they are in the feed expect them to stay there awhile until they get thier fill, then they will move back to the grass to loaf for the day. Most birds will spend an hour or so in the field at first light and return to the grass unless pressured. You will do well to hunt the edges at first light and the grain fields after until they have gone back to the grass.

Most of the time I agree with this,but last Saturday,we had birds that wouldn't leave the grass for nothing.These guys where in it all day,never left it.

This weekend we saw birds flying into the milo right at first light, normally I wait until later in the morning to hunt feed fields. What is the right time to hunt feed fields in morning and in the afternoon?

Zeepo
I'll hunt milo and wheat stubble all day. As I've always said and still say, you can have all that CRP! I do just fine hunting feed fields. Occassionally I'll walk maybe 1 or 2 CRP patches a day. Regardless of where and when you hunt, good luck!

If a cold front is coming, they pile into the feed for long periods of time. The first day a cold front hits, stick to the cover. These guys have the times of day right already.

kiotehntr,

Any time you find is better than others. I have seen birds roost in weedy milo or wheat when its not too cold. I try to not hunt wheat stubble too much becase it seems pretty hard on the dogs. One dog I had I had to pull a piece of wheat out of his chest, it took a pretty good pair of pliers. Bleed pretty bad for a couple of minutes.

zeepo

be versatile i like crp really early then move to grain fields but this weekend the birdws were in crp if something isnt working theres a reason why.

Back