What was your best shot this year?

My favorite shot this year had to be a hunt with the wife. Our pup went super birdy and was chasing a wildly hen in circles. We didn’t know it was a hen but it just kept running around us until it finally flushed. Usually when a bird flush, the pup would give chase after the flying bird, but this time she kept her head down like she was still on a running bird. She ran right by me and went the opposite way where the hen flushed. I was still questioning the pup why did she run behind us. Within a few seconds, the pup flushed a rooster about 35 yards away, I lifted my gun up and took a shot. By that time the birds was pushing over 40 yards. I knew that was pushing my limit but still took a shot. And of course the shot missed! I did not even think about taking a second shot. As I lowered my gun watching the bird fly further away and with the dog chasing, to the corner of my eye I see my wife with her gun shouldered. As I was about to yell, “no shot” to the wife, she took a shot. “Boom”…. Her 20’ga went off. I turn back to see the rooster’s wings fold and then dropped hard down. I couldn’t believe my eyes as the bird was probably 60-70 yards from the wife when she shot it. The pup was on the rooster the whole time. When the pup brought the dead rooster back, it was a lucky single #4 steel to the eye. It was her first wild rooster ever and a crazy lucky one.

My buddy shot a bird and it kept flying only to pass me at 60+ yards so I let fly and absolutely stoned that bird. It looked like he hit a brickwall. Might be one of the hardest hit birds I had all year.

Back