What Gauge to Buy?

I'm in the market for a new shotgun for pheasant hunting. I am unsure on what gauge I should get. I already own a Beretta 12 gauge but would like to try something new. Was wondering what other people shoot and what their preferred gauge is for upland hunting. Thanks.

I quail hunt with a Browning Sweet 16 and do most of my pheasant hunting with it also. It is a Japanese model with invector chokes. I use modified for pheasant and improved for quail.

Great topic to start a spirited discussion!

If you already have a 12, I would personally go to 20. Which is what I have done actually.

My reasoning:

1. Practicality. 20 ammo is very easy to find in a wide variation of loadings and it is relatively inexpensive when these two factors are compared to 16, 28 or .410.

2. Evolution of ammunition technology has allowed both the 12 to "download" (if you will) and the 20 to "upload" to point that either the 12 or 20 with suitable loadings can easily fill in the old gap that the 16 filled between 12 and 20. The same can be said of downloading the 20 to cover the 28s habitat

3. A properly scaled and built 20 is a nice, light firearm in either Two or Single barrel configuration. Generally lighter than a 16s and very, very close to the 28s.

Those are essentially the reasons my gun safe has mostly 12s and 20s. The 20s are out in early season when shots are closer. When the wild flushes start, the 12s get the nod.

That said, I have shot (but do not own) some very well balanced 16s and 28s that patterned very well with the appropriate quail and pheasant loads. I hunted with a very good shot that used a 28 exclusively for pheasant and was deadly with it. He did not, of course, take 50 yard shots with it though.

As always, your mileage may vary!

With a 12 you'll always have enough gun. You can tweak with chokes and loads. You've got a Beretta? Wow, what's not to like there?

Another 16 ga. lover here. Ammo isn't as tough to find as some would have your believe. Just make sure you always have plenty on hand so you aren't caught short in a remote area.

Keep it simple find a gun that fits you and you shoot well with it. if you have a semi or pump look at doubles. You can kill pheasants with any gauge, some just reach out further then others. I used to hunt with a guy who carried an Ithaca mag 10 in late season in Iowa, 26 in barrel, he shot that gun very well, he was a big guy too. My best shooter, at least in my mind, is my 20 o/u with 26" barrels and double triggers. When I shot for Purdue I used a lefty 1100 for American and international skeet, I'm a right handed shooter. That gun for whatever reason just fit me to a tee and I was deadly with it, plus no one else used it!

My next gun will be a 28ga sxs for grouse and woodcock or any other double I can find on my very long wish list.

Another 16 ga. lover here. Ammo isn't as tough to find as some would have your believe. Just make sure you always have plenty on hand so you aren't caught short in a remote area.

Agree completely. Not real tough to have a case on hand at all times and if you shop sales and clearance can actually get it pretty cheap.

20ga.

IMO it is the most versatile of all shotguns. Not too big for smaller game and quite enough for larger birds.

For pheasant I use a 20ga exclusively, except for the very occasional 28ga outing early. For cackle birds I shoot 20ga #5. I use it for waterfowl too, #4 steel for ducks but use 3" shells.

For quail 7.5 - 9 shot. Grouse 7.5

Got rid if and never even shoot a 12ga any longer. I just don't see the point in carrying a heavier gun with heavier shells that doesn't have any more knockdown power IMO.

Great topic to start a spirited discussion!

If you already have a 12, I would personally go to 20. Which is what I have done actually.

My reasoning:

1. Practicality. 20 ammo is very easy to find in a wide variation of loadings and it is relatively inexpensive when these two factors are compared to 16, 28 or .410.

2. Evolution of ammunition technology has allowed both the 12 to "download" (if you will) and the 20 to "upload" to point that either the 12 or 20 with suitable loadings can easily fill in the old gap that the 16 filled between 12 and 20. The same can be said of downloading the 20 to cover the 28s habitat

3. A properly scaled and built 20 is a nice, light firearm in either Two or Single barrel configuration. Generally lighter than a 16s and very, very close to the 28s.

Those are essentially the reasons my gun safe has mostly 12s and 20s. The 20s are out in early season when shots are closer. When the wild flushes start, the 12s get the nod.

That said, I have shot (but do not own) some very well balanced 16s and 28s that patterned very well with the appropriate quail and pheasant loads. I hunted with a very good shot that used a 28 exclusively for pheasant and was deadly with it. He did not, of course, take 50 yard shots with it though.

As always, your mileage may vary!

+1 on Chestle's comments and I would get one that can handle 20ga 3" loads. I prefer an O/U.

One more plus for the 20ga he didn't mention is if you need to move to nontoxic shot due to your location or to shoot some waterfowl; 20ga 3" nontoxic ammo is much easier to find and as capable as the 16ga.

Good luck.

Since you have a 12 I'd get a 20 to go along with it. That's actually what I'm looking at doing before next season.
If lead was legal everywhere there would be no question that a 20 is fine for pheasants...especially if you hunt over a pointer or really close working flushed.

Tim

I've got a 28, 3-20's, a 16 and a 12...now, what was the question again...?

I bought a 11-87 field 20 last year, like it a lot. Light, well made, cycles well, and fast. Gold trigger. I shot a 24 pound tom with it last spring.I go to a 11-87 12, late season, or an 870 mag.I used to use an old A-5 mag. For everything, circa 1928.

I like the idea of having a backup and the convenience of buying 1 gauge of shell. I have a light weight Side by Side 12 and my argument to the wife is that I need another one just like it. Maybe her next husband will be the silver tongued devil that I am not.

Another vote for 20. I have a pair of SXS guns, identical except for guage and 2" of barrel length. I've hardly used the 12 in the last 4-5 years. A few things to consider:

-Excellent point was made on nontox loads
-In going 16, make sure you're getting something for it- several 16s are built on 12 frames so you're only losing capability and sometimes getting a gun heavier than a 12.
-Once I made sure I used 20 loads over 1300fps, I really can't tell a difference on pheasants with lead. The 12 only seems to come out in January now.

I like the idea of having a backup and the convenience of buying 1 gauge of shell. I have a light weight Side by Side 12 and my argument to the wife is that I need another one just like it. Maybe her next husband will be the silver tongued devil that I am not.

My dad bought a Ithaca side by side 20, in 1971, and I've used it a lot. Great gun!!26 inch barrels, modified, full.

There are about two times a year when I miss with both barrels and then muchas roosters flush while I try a tactical reload. I then come back with my auto loader and the scenario rarely repeats itself, but today's autos are reliable and fun to shoot. You can never have enough shotguns! I have been carrying my auto a lot more lately. The 3rd shot does come into play.:D

If you are in the market for a new gun, maybe you want something unique. I upland hunt with two unique shotguns.

My 12 gauge is a Model 59 Winchester with 28" modified choke barrel. If you are not familiar with the Model 59, the barrel is 20 thousands thick steel wrapped with several miles of fiberglass. It weighs 6.5 lbs and carries and points well.

[http://www.wideopenspaces.com/back-future-winchester-model-59/

These guns are often available on GunBroker and sell for about $300. In recent years, four of my friends/relatives that went pheasant hunting with me, tried my 59 and then went and bought one of their own.

My other unique gun is a 16 gauge Stevens 5100 SxS. It is unique because it is a 16 gauge and a side by side. There is a certain gravitas that accompanies hunting with it...even if it is not a fancy gun.

If I was in the market for a modern, new shotgun, I would look deeply into the Benelli 828U.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/19/review-benelli-828u-shotgun/

Back