What else do you hunt?

jlmatthew

Besides pheasants, what else do you guys pursue? I really enjoy waterfowl and deer hunting in addition to chasing ditch chickens'. I probably do more goose hunting than anything in normal years, but this year is a definate exception. Been doing a lot of pheasant hunting due to lining up some smokin' farms, and I like not having to get up at 4:00 am and setting out a whole bunch of full body honker decoys.

Tomorrow I'm taking my wife out to hunt a warm water slough and see if we cant get her that first duck. Figure ducks will be easier cause she'll have more time to prepare for the shot than on roosters
;)

If it swims,runs,or fly's we hunt it. My personal fav is spring turkey thou or blue grouse just for the challange thou and a good way to get the dog ready
early without fears of my four legged feather chaser finding a eastern county
rattler. Hope the wife enjoys, been tryin to convince mine that valetines day
this year were doing something i like, last day of regular goose season.

good luck,
Ringmaster

Elk,deer,pronghorn,coyote,goose,dove,pheasant,rabbit,prairie dog, I also like to shoot grouse with my bow while elk hunting but don't really try to hunt them. Would like to add bear and turkey to the list next season.

Cool, more grouse hunters :thumbsup:

I love hunting the Craig/Hayden area for Blue's & Sharptails and would kill for a spot closer to home. Anybody have any luck with Blue's in the Gunny basin?

Elk,deer,pronghorn,coyote,goose,dove,pheasant,rabbit,prairie dog, I also like \

o shoot grouse with my bow while elk hunting but don't really try to hunt them. Would like to add bear and turkey to the list next season.

Blue grouse up in the Mountains is a blast with dogs.:)

I am with Ringmaster...and if I ain't hunt or fished for it yet, I sure as heck would try to do so!:10sign:

jlmatthew....Hunted the gunnison area for blue's for the past 4 years family has had cabin at blue mesa ranch.Hunting is usually productive also hunt elk
down the road from there in powderhorn.

HeavyC.... i see we share the same point of view on dogs to. great lookin pup!

Danke! She's doing pretty good despite my sorry training.

What's a "ditch chicken"?

I hunt whitetail deer, but in a "lets get one in the freezer and get back to birding" kinda way. I apply for a moose tag every year, but never got one yet. I've shot caribou and seals up in the Arctic to feed the field camp.

In the small game department I hunt pheasant, ruffies, woodcock, snipe (in that order). Rabbits pass the time from the end of bird season (Dec 31) to the end of February. Nothing to hunt then until October 1, unless you're into crows for coyotes.

I hunt Canadas, Blacks, Mallards, greenwing teal, gadwall, pintail, and bufflehead or Goldeneyes if there's not too much ice. Might get more into this if I can get a reliable boat sorted out for winter.

Like most others here, I'll hunt anything that I or someone else can eat, or nuisance animals if they really are damaging someone's property and they want them gone. I have not done that in years - used to pop off racoons for my parent's neighbour and porcupines and groundhogs when I was a kid. Oh yeah, and if those damned starlings try to get into my soffits I get up at dawn before my citfied neighbours are up and my basement door opens a crack, just enough for the muzzle of my pellet gun to poke up and plink them out of the tree beside the house! lol!

-Croc

I love to dust blues in gunny with my man the Ringmaster. if i could only get my wife to go gauge some geese for val day, we could make it rain for real.

Fly, Swim, or Crawl...we hunt them all!

Let's see, over the years I've hunted the following: Elk, moose, whitetails, mule deer, antelope, turkey, geese, ducks, ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse, blue grouse, sage grouse, huns, pheasants, doves, cottontails, jacks, coyotes, fox, gophers, prairie dogs and rock chucks. I think that's about all but I might have missed one or two.

Back