What do you wear?

ness

It's a kind of a quandary for me -- my hunting vest and coat work great for storing shells, birds, whatever. But I'm always suffering at some point during a hunt. The coat's too heavy and I'm sweating even thought the temperature is pretty low. The vest is too light and I freeze my butt off when it;s cold and the wind is blowing. My hat is pretty good at first, but I need to let heat escape from my skull most of the time after a walk into the field, so I'm looking for a place to stow it after a while. I've got some calipene undies that wick away the sweat, but there's always more sweat that the capilene can handle. Please help a sweaty dude hunt in comfort.

I'm a heavy sweater myself. Doesn't matter the temp, I sweat. Not uncommon for me to come out of the field on a cold day with icicles hanging from my hair. I don't wear anything that is made of cotton except for my jeans. Best is to layer clothing and remove and attach to your vest as needed. Base layer is longjohns that wick moisture, sock liners that do the same under Merino wool socks. The best shirts I have found are made of Worsterlon. They are tough to find anymore. Cabelas use to carry them but don't anymore. A lot of Alaskan guides recommend Worsterlon. Dries quick. Then some type of breathable jacket/wind breaker under my vest. Stay away from clothing with Gore-Tex or any similar waterproof lining. It's fine for sitting still in a duck blind but not when you are walking and working up a sweat. Regardless of what they say it DOES NOT breathe. Or breathe enough.

One fabric that can't be beat for warmth and breathability is wool. When I've hunted big game in the mountains in cold temps and snow I have on wool pants, a wool shirt and a wool parka. Wool breathes and will keep you warm even when it's wet.

It's a kind of a quandary for me -- my hunting vest and coat work great for storing shells, birds, whatever. But I'm always suffering at some point during a hunt. The coat's too heavy and I'm sweating even thought the temperature is pretty low. The vest is too light and I freeze my butt off when it;s cold and the wind is blowing. My hat is pretty good at first, but I need to let heat escape from my skull most of the time after a walk into the field, so I'm looking for a place to stow it after a while. I've got some calipene undies that wick away the sweat, but there's always more sweat that the capilene can handle. Please help a sweaty dude hunt in comfort.

Drinking more beer and pop leading up to your hunts will help you get dehydrated, then no sweat! Pretty easy...

Early season is easy.

Late season I wear a light knit hat and am constantly pulling it up off my ears to cool or pulling it down to heat, I also keep a orange ball cap in my hunting vest day pack.
Normally wear one long john top under a fleece coat, keep a down vest in the truck.
Long john bottoms under my brush pants for cold days or just brush pants when it's above 20
One pair of wicking socks in the IS havocs, they are the lightly insulated ones, 800 I believe.
Lightweight gloves in the shell vest and a pair of hand warmers in the vest pockets, for me my hands are my thermostat. Most of the time I'll go with out wearing the gloves and just warm my fingers with the hot hands.
In general I go on the lighter side knowing I'm going to heat up, but always bring a few little extras in the day pack area on the back of the bird bag.

My brother in law swears by just a wind breaker under his shell vest, I like the little more quiet stealth of the fleece.

Fleece base layer. It doesn't hold any moisture. Anything you sweat just passes right through. Then you just need to figure out the right amount of layers.

Wool keeps you warm when wet, but it also holds a lot of moisture and gets heavy and soggy. I have some wool thermals, but honestly they are not as comfortable as the fleece.

My hunting coat is pretty much just a shell with no insulation. Under that I have 1-3 layers, depending on the temps.

On my feet I have sock liners under wool socks. If my feet get uncomfortably wet, I will change socks or both socks and boots.

FYI, if you are one of those "always hot" people, a fleece base layer will roast you out if you don't let it breathe. It's a great insulator, so you may find that you need a lot fewer layers of clothes than you are used to.

Is your vest a strap vest?

Using a strap type vest you can layer underneath and peel a layer or two off if it gets too warm. Not warm enough, add another layer.

As others have attested to all of your base layer garments should be one of the many moisture wicking fabrics out there. They also come in different weights for different activity levels. Usually a light or medium weight is more than enough if you are going to be walking alot.

Here is a little guide on moisture wicking fabrics: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/underwear.html

Last edited:
Mild day (35 and up): cotton cloth boxers, light socks, Gamehide or denim shirt, uninsulated boots, brush pants, windbreaker as needed, cotton boonie hat, strap vest

Cold day (20 - 35): cotton cloth boxers, regular T-shirt with Gamehide shirt or regular cotton turtleneck, heavy socks, insulated boots only if snow on the ground, brush pants, uninsulated field coat, cotton boonie hat, and possibly a micro fleece head band

Very cold day (below 20 all day): long underwear, heavy T-shirt, heavy cotton turtleneck, insulated boots, heavy socks, brush pants, uninsulated field coat, micro fleece head band and cotton boonie or wool stocking cap

Last edited:
When it's cold: Polypro underwear, cotton long-sleeve shirt, orange hoodie or fleece, a nylon head/face sleeve around my neck, orange ball cap, vest, Duluth brush pants or jeans & Filson chaps supported by a belt AND suspenders, heavy socks & boots (my feet seldom get cold). I can peel layers as needed as the day warms.

Is your vest a strap vest?

No it's not, and that's part of where I am going with this. I really like the idea of a strap vest that I can fit over whatever I'm wearing. That keeps me from being tied to either my coat or old-school vest. Gonna look at the REI article. Thanks.

I agree, cotton isn't right for the job Dakotazeb, for me anyway. It just soaks up the sweat and stays wet all day. I've gotten to where I carry a clean one in the car so I can switch before I head into a place to eat dinner so I don't gross everyone out.

Toad -- I think the fleece base layer is probably too much for me. Maybe shirt/light jacket.

BritChaser -- thanks for the input. I've got a fleece headband somewhere, never think to use it though. Keeps the ears warm and lets the heat radiate up off my skull.

Deweybagger -- if I get into the beer the night before, it's just gonna make me sweat more :D

I like the Wing Works strap vests, but they are pricey -- especially if you add a couple more things like a camera pouch and an Alpha holder.

Thanks for all the input -- I'm gonna research a few of these ideas.

Bird 'N Lite strap vests are plenty roomy with adequate storage.

I'm a bog fan of performance clothes that wick moisture and breathe. I always wear underarmour, either heat gear, or cold gear, depending on conditions. For when it's colder I use layers that can be removed or added when needed.

This is a great conversation, that brings up memories of my hunting buddies who never seem to dress for the conditions.

My brother Jim and buddy Pete meet me at a woods road intersection for a grouse/woodcock hunt. There's frost on the ground and temp around 30*. Both are dressed like they're going to sit on stand. Insulated pants, heavy long johns, heavy coat or a couple of sweaters.

I'm dressed light. Brush pants, performance underwear, a light moisture wicking base layer, long sleeved hunting shirt and a shell upland coat. I'm cold standing around while we plan our hunt and gear up. But by the second covert they're crying uncle, sweating their asses off because they've worn way too much clothes. I should mention they are both out of shape, which isn't helping them at all. Pete showed up dressed the same this year for a hunt and we gave him all sorts of grief. He's a slow learner.

I sweat easily, too, but for 56 I'm in a lot better shape than a lot of guys my age, and a lot of younger guys, too. I get a sweat going, but it also quits sooner than my buddies who are out of shape because my body recovers faster. That is a big help. If you're out of shape, I would advise to do something to change your lifestyle. You'll enjoy the hunt so much more when you have some stamina, aren't gasping for breath with sweat running into your eyes and your balls in a puddle of sweat all day.

For a long time I've been very concerned about a good buddy of mine. When he was my best man he went about 215. He had gotten up to 350 and could no longer hunt or ice fish with me. Golfing, it would be 40* and he'd show up in shorts, sweating and wheezing with taking a few practice swings. It was all he could do to make it nine holes. He was a heart attack waiting to happen. I Thank God he finally got scared enough to do something about it. He's now down to about 280 and working hard at it. He looks and feels so much better. We're planning some ice fishing soon.

Under armour hoodie with wool base layer on top and brush pants with base layer on bottom. Warm gloves that are mostly kept in my pocket,synthetic hat, wool socks and Asolo hikers. If I'm wearing a vest it's a strap vest.

That is usually warm enough for pheasant hunting for me. Occasionally need another layer on top.

A hood is essential IMO.

Staying in shape is huge! I dropped from 250 to 230 after I retired (more time being active & less time at a desk.). Granted, we don't have Montana/Dakota/Wyoming/Wisconsin/Minnesota/ et al winters in SE WA state, but if it's above 40, I wear shorts unless I'm hunting/doing chores outside. You can condition yourself to lower temps. Most folks over-dress; layers are the key.

Depends how you hunt I guess.
I'm a solo Hunter following flushers so I am really exercising. I always leave the truck feeling cold because I know I'll heat up. Uninsulated deerskin gloves, which always come off. An uninsulated orange ball cap. Different thicknesses of Polypro underwear for different temps. One polypro shirt, and a thin Gore Tex jacket if it is cold.

I agree with most of the comments here so far. I always start with an underarmor type shirt. They wick moisture and also provide warmth. Last fall we hunted birds in North Dakota when the wind was whipping at around 20 mph. The temps were in the teens below zero. Most of my hunting buddies were bundled so heavily they couldn't walk or hunt or shoulder their gun very well. My brother comes up to me and says how do you get away with wearing so few clothes? I told him it is not bulk but technology in layers that helps to keep me warm, dry, free from the wind, and able to move. He went out and finally bought some "smart" clothes. You may pay a bit more for the "good" stuff but it is well worth it when you sweat like a hockey goalie like I do!

I gave up on coats and heavier vests two years ago - got a strap-vest and I never looked back. I aim to be COLD when I leave the car, that's the only way I can hope to not overheat during the hunt. I should point out that Nova Scotian pheasant covers mean that you're rarely very far from teh car, so it's relatively safe to under-dress (not like you're going to get hypothermic 5 miles from the car!). I keep a blaze "Buff" thingy and a pair of gloves in the back of my strapvest along with my license, knife, lighter, compass, spare whistle and side-cutters (for coyote snare emergency). Shells in the front pockets.

On the bottom I wear a light pair of Reddington double-front pants (hot day) and add polypro longjohns and/or waxed chaps depending on thorniness of the cover and temperatures. Pretty rare for me to wear all three. Also dpending what dog(s) I'm hunting over - some move faster than others.

On top I wear a blaze underarmour t-shirt (hot day), and then add either a cheap synethic long-sleeve T, or one of two available weights of blaze button-down shirts that I have. If it's REALLY cold I have a blaze hoody that I put on, but it's heavy and I'm almost alwasy too hot in it. If the wind is howling or it's raining and cold I have an orange breathable shell coat that I wear, but it's not blaze, soit's a bit of a pain because I have to put a cheap vest on under my strap vest (strap vest does not have enough blaze on it to be legal in this province).

I wear a ball cap all the time, but the blaze Buff comes in handy if it's colder or windier than expectged - I use it as a neck-gaiter that I pull up at the back and over the cap to hold it in place (my bald head is slicker than gooseshit on a pumphandle! lol). Or I just twist it in the middle and make a blaze "skullcap" toque out of it and stuff the cap in my vest.

On my feet - muckboots with "bama booties" inside. hot on hot days for sure, but at least they're dry. The Bama booties are KEY for keeping my feet dry enough to prevent blisters. I change the booties at mid-day.

It really depends on how windy it is. Most of the time I were a t-shirt. a Woolrich orange shirt, and my WingWorks strap vest.

If the wind is blowing I have a wind breaker that is on the back of my WW vest.

It is pretty rare that I am cold, unless it is really cold or windy.

I wear almost the same thing every time.

Polypro long underwear/top of 35 or lower.

Carhart nylon front work pants.

Long sleeve cotton shirt.

Wool button down shirt. (if colder)

LL Bean waxed cotton hunting jacket. (I also have a none waxed jacket for warmer dry days but rarely use it.

Baseball cap or fleece ear flap hat. depending on temp.

if I need gloves I wear a simple fleece pair with nubby rubber in the palms and fingers.

I've tried using fleece in layers but found it is far too warm when the jacket is over the top. The wool shirt was the single best purchase I've ever made for hunting wear. Super versatile, not too warm, but keeps you warm in the cold.

I also agree that you should feel cold when you get out of the car. Many days my hands will feel like they're going to fall off for the first 30 minutes but that always changes and you settle in.

I agree with most of the comments here so far. I always start with an underarmor type shirt. They wick moisture and also provide warmth. Last fall we hunted birds in North Dakota when the wind was whipping at around 20 mph. The temps were in the teens below zero. Most of my hunting buddies were bundled so heavily they couldn't walk or hunt or shoulder their gun very well. My brother comes up to me and says how do you get away with wearing so few clothes? I told him it is not bulk but technology in layers that helps to keep me warm, dry, free from the wind, and able to move. He went out and finally bought some "smart" clothes. You may pay a bit more for the "good" stuff but it is well worth it when you sweat like a hockey goalie like I do!

Well said, I have hunting partners still wearing cotton. At the end of everyday I hear "why am I soaking wet and you are dry"? They refuse to try "new and expensive clothing" . I was out earlier this week at -20 with an underarmor base layer, fleece top and wool pants. Plenty warm. Amazing stuff. :)

People that hunt with me laugh at how little I wear. If it is 20 degrees or colder, carhartt bibs with long johns underneath. The main thing for me is to keep the wind off. On top it is several layers of shirts with an oversized zippered hoodie and a stocking cap. It has to be very cold for me to hunt in gloves. I spend my money on boots.

Early season here in Texas is hot anyway. Bird -n- Lite strap vest, upland overalls over long sleeve hunters orange shirt and t-shirt. I throw on a hunters orange pullover if the wind blows
Late Season, i put the strap vest away and switch to a Columbia Upland Coat.

The upland overalls are getting hard to find.

Back