what do you think about a hunting dog from a shelter??

daryl1801

what do you think about getting a hunting dog from a shelter or some other org. like that? someone told me you do want to do that because most of those dogs have some kind of problem. just want to know what you think! when I mean hunting dogs I mean --gsp,gwp,lab,spanials,setters, ect.ect. not pitbulls or ect.ect. you know what I mean!

You know I'm chiming in on this one...all three of the GSP's below are shelter or rescue dogs. The two white GSP's came right out of the shelter in Amarillo TX. The one on the left is my boy Taz who has now earned a AKC senior level (the owners left papers so he could be registered). Buddy on the left was a mess when we got him and he is now a pointing machine. The little guy (Ruger) on the bottom was an owner surrender that said he couldn't point. Of course I know this is a site point but give him time and he will be just fine. I have had a few not make it but just as many that have.
TazBuddy.jpg

Ruger1.jpg

shelter dogs

i see no reason not to try shelter dogs. imo dogs do what they are bred to do, meaning they hunt or they dont. i know several people that have spent tons of money on dogs and pro trainers, and several arent just dont hunt. i know this the dog is only as good as the time You put into training it. my .20:cheers::cheers:

I would say like JMC said some do but most don't. If I was to get one from a shelter. I wait for one around 4-5 months old and train it my way from there........Bob

one of my best dogs came from a shelter and she wasnt a hunting breed she just picked up on it and my worst came from a breeder that dog couldnt find her food bowl so yes if you find the right dog and its what you want get it and hope for the best:cheers:

all great points

have to agree with bobeyerite about age great point. also have to agree with jmc wow papers you are luck my freind. great looking dogs. gcb, love your point also, shelter dods are cheap and if like bob stated young and you are willing totake up the time into training the dog u might have something. i have no dogs at this time. no room for it in the in the city. no place to train them. i have in the past had four of the hardest hunting britts in the world, imo , jmc had geart luck with shelther dogs, have freinds had luck with shelther dogs, have freinds with aka dogs that are worthless. dont know its a gamble but so is life. my .02 lol:D

Last edited:
JMC is a huge inspiration to anyone looking to adopt a dog. It is too bad that they end up there, but at least it is a road to a better life for most of them. Many dogs that end up there come from good hunting dogs, the people just bit off more then they expect, or loss of job, relocate and can't bring rover etc. Some get taken away from neglect. No matter what many can be worth a try. For a hunting companion you may be better off looking in the specialty rescue organizations, say like JMC in the GSP rescue, or for a Britt, the Britt rescue org, UMM, for a springer The ESS rescue of whatever state you are in etc. Each state or a neighbor will have one or will work with other states as a network to find one out there. Or when the right one comes up for adoption, line the two of you up. It's a noble task and gesture. Good luck

I know two guys one got a Gsp from the Animal Shelter the other a Setter from a rescue and both have turned out to be good hunting dogs. There is always the chance of spending big money on a dog from a breeder that never becomes a hunter.

Thanks for the kind words Springer...obviously you don't know me personally...hehe. All told, the Amarillo GSP rescue group has turned approximately 17 GSP's and a few other bird dog looking muts. I personally know of 7 that are in field hunting there butts off. Not that you have to do what I do, but I rescue the dog and keep it a week or so. I run him with my GSP's on some live birds. If they show promise, off to my sons kennel. If not, I find a kid or someone looking for a good pet. Give them a little obedience training and find them a home...then repeat. Good luck! If you are worried about it, you can get decent hunting dogs for a few hundred bucks but there is not a guarantee that they will hunt. If you buy from a backyard, the only guarantee you get is I guarantee they will eat and poop. If you don't adopt, then spend the extra $ and get one from a proven kennel or breeder. Here is my guilt trip statement; if you adopt and he/she doesn't work out, then don't take them back to the shelter; or if you do, don't look them in the eye. Find them a home.

Back