what do you do

Every Britt I have owned has chased rabbits. The only followed for a short time and returned when commanded or whistled. The dogs appeared to chase rabbits when bird hunting was slow. The dog seemed to chase for fun. If you follow the history of the Britt you know he was a poachers dog and was required to hunt all kinds of game. So who am I to deny the Britts some fun. Steve

i know they used to be poachers dogs mine chase when birds are slow or non existent i was just wandering how other reacted i usually use the ol electronic reminder and that curbs it for a long while

After a dog has been around a while, they most times have a "get ota there" COMAND they know pretty well of some sort.:D and after being on birds, that comand should do it in a firm voice with some "NO's" mixed in, maybe an ear tug or a nick or two if your using a e collar. After a couple times they will understand not to run trash unless you let em.

My present Britt, Sadie, will stop with a NO command. She knows that command means to stop what she is doing. Seems to work for me. I guess I might have to nick her with the e-collar if she was persistant. Nevertheless, these dogs are fun in the field :) Steve

Gove a couple times a year? Hell I chase rabbitts myself more than that in a weekend. To a dog it is like eating only blue M&Ms after a while we all say hell I want to try a green one. They just need that run to clear their mind and get back in rooster mode.

yes they do i still live by the thought if I wanted a rabbit dog i would have a beagle i guess the better question to ask would have been who says there dogs don't chase rabbits

My dog is normally pretty cooperative and obedient, but she put a HAIL of a chase on a jackrabbit this season. That rabbit ran just fast enough to keep her from catching him, but just slow enough that she thought she had a chance. Fastest I've ever seen her run...:D I blew the pea out of the whistle, so she must have been running faster than the speed of sound.:rolleyes:

She'll normally take a few steps towards a cottontail when it shoots by in front of her, but never gets too excited about them. I couldn't believe how far she chased that jackrabbit. She was over the next hill and still shifting gears when I lost sight of her. Kind of scary, really. I was glad she came back and I didn't have to put on a search... Made me wish that e-collar was on her instead of packed in my bag.

mine don't do it all the time just a couple times a year

Yep, when we're not getting into birds they'll consider it, but my GWP is the one that has to be yelled at. Keep em' in birds and none of the dogs I have really care to chase rabbits more that 10-20 yards. Heck I'd do it to if I thought I was fast enough to scare one:rolleyes:

Back