Western Kansas Crowds

bleedin_maroon

Hey all,
I'm planning a rooster trip the week before Christmas and considering a few days in Western Kansas. From glancing at the walk in atlas it appears that there's a lot public access available than what I'm used to in CO and NE, I'm just curious as to how much pressure they receive. Specifically the areas north of Garden City and west of Hays to the CO and NE borders. Thanks in advance for any input.

In my opinion you will see other hunters but later in the season ( like you are doing ) and especially during the week you will see less pressure . You are going to find some spots with great cover and some not the best . Boots and dogs on the ground best way to find out .

Let us know how your hunt comes out and post some pictures .

Wiha land gets the armies in it opening weekend. After that they recieve regular pressure.

It's not like the wiha land becomes void of birds. They are just very well educated and are the best escape artists there are!

Should be fine pressure wise that time of year. We don't have many others around us that time of year. Put in the boot miles , you will definitely get into quail.

You might do better a little further east as Garden has been really dry. Hays South to Kinsley and then over to Great Bend draw a circle for that area it has been really, really good as they received better late summer moisture.

Would door-knocking be worth my while, or would I be better off just humping hard on the public access areas?

Half the battle is finding who owns the land. Door knocking can work since deer season is over and if you know how to talk to people.

Most of your time or possibly good luck will come in finding the actual land owner.

Plenty of good WIHA if you have a dog and do some driving to find the right ones to hunt, if you are dogless can be done but I think it would add more of a challenge and require a bit more scouting and thought before you got out and walked.

Bring plenty of clothes and layers and pack for all conditions... it's cold now but can get up to 75 one day with a slight breeze to 20 the next with a N wind of 20-30mph. Better to bring extra and be prepared than miserable.

Half the battle is finding who owns the land. Door knocking can work since deer season is over and if you know how to talk to people.

Most of your time or possibly good luck will come in finding the actual land owner.

Plenty of good WIHA if you have a dog and do some driving to find the right ones to hunt, if you are dogless can be done but I think it would add more of a challenge and require a bit more scouting and thought before you got out and walked.

Bring plenty of clothes and layers and pack for all conditions... it's cold now but can get up to 75 one day with a slight breeze to 20 the next with a N wind of 20-30mph. Better to bring extra and be prepared than miserable.

Right on, thanks. I gotta good dog and the two of us don't mind walking all day as long as we're walking good cover! Sounds like we'll bank on WIHA.

A good way to meet local landowners, is spend some time in the local watering hole, or the local cafe for breakfast. Present yourself well, especially if you have boys with you and you will be surprised at how you are received, especially if you make it a habit to be seen there.

Last edited:
Just made about the same trip as you. I'm from Liberal KS but stationed in Colorado Springs. Didn't hunt around Garden but mostly between Liberal and Ulysses. Bird numbers are good on Walk Ins, shooting was terrible, make sure you have some 4 shot I was regularly taking 30-40 yard shots.

Pressure from other hunters was bad during weekends, work hard and find your spots during the week and be the first one out on the weekend.

I wasn't turned down once knocking on doors, just respectful and not greedy.

Definitely not easy to find landowners. Seems most have moved to town and the whole farmstead is rented out. Folks out there are super friendly when you do find them.

Its to late I'm sure but just to clarify I meant 6 shot for longer shots.

Either way how was the hunt, trying to convince my wife and work to let me back out there before the season closes.

It was tough and short-lived. My one and only day in Kansas was my third consecutive day of hunting hard in the snow, I messed up my knee something fierce (at one point I was worried about making it back to the truck) and my dog's face/nose was cut all to hell so I decided to head back to CO and hunt geese for my last couple days off. Saw a ton of birds but they were EXTREMELY wild and flushing way out of range. Parking well away from the field and walking quietly as possible, they were still flushing 200 yards out the moment my boots hit the grass. It was the first day of warm weather in a while though, maybe it had them a little restless. Only bird I killed was flying back to cover from some wheat stubble and ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not at all how I prefer to shoot em but I sure as hell won't pass one up! Did have about 9 hens explode at my feet. I hope you have better luck!

Damn sorry to hear.

Buddy and me are heading out east to do some Colleagues public land hunting the weekend of the 14-16.

Than I'm heading back home to Kansas Jan 27-31 to wrap up the season.

I'd love to even know how to hunt geese only bird I've ever hunted are pheasant, but I drastically need to expand my skill set.

I'm headed down to Kansas for the 11th Thur the 15th. It's been about 5 years since I've down to Kansas since the droughts.

Can't wait to get a chew in and put the wind in my face and enjoy some great dog work. I've followed this tread and have a good idea were I want to start.

Matt... Liberal was quite the hot spot 8 years ago. I've made the 13 hrs drive several times.
Thanks Justin

Back