West of Iowa City

CT20

Coming to Iowa for the first time since being there in 2006. We will be hunting about 1 hr west of Iowa City. Anyone have a bird report for this area?

I don?t hunt that far east but according to the DNR, there should be birds from Iowa City east to Des Moines. When are you coming to Iowa?

i live in runnells wich is about 1.5 hrs west of iowa city. we have the neil smith wildlife refuge wich is around ten thousand acres of upland habitat and some wooded areas wich include some crops. i was out scouting it this morning and my weim pointed at least 5 different broods of 2nd hatch birds. after we were done i drove around some and saw at least 40 more very young birds wandering around the side of the road. we dont have alot of pheasant hunters left in my area so i get alot of it to myself alot of the time until deer season hits. also oak viewII hunt club is also located right there so you could always plan a one or half day hunt as well. there is also a 200 acre pheasants forever public area about 15min. eat of runnells/monroe that holds some birds as well im gonna go check it out next weekend. hope this helped and good luck, let me know if ya need anymore info.:cheers:

Thanks a lot guys guys. Iowa folks have always been good to me. I appreciate the info. We are coming out on November 14th.

That's pretty close to me - bird numbers are definitely up from the past couple of years but we're still nowhere close to Iowa's good days. Some pockets should be pretty good, it will depend a lot on what kind of habitat is in the area. The upland areas that have been well managed have been able to carry birds through the rough weather. Have a fun trip and if you have any questions about the area feel free to shoot me a message.

Back