Weird situation on public land in MN

Which is perfectly fine.

The point I'm making is that you don't drop a loaded shotgun for a handgun if there is an immediate incoming threat. "I think I'll trade my 12 gauge for a glock when an imminent threat approaches" said no one, ever.

I don't keep my gun loaded, i break it open when around other people, parking lot, or when not walking out of respect for others safety.

If you think i am going to choose to take that gun off my shoulder, close that gun, and use it instead of dropping it off my shoulder and drawing a sidearm you are nuts. Besides the crazy person is getting 115gr HP not 7/8oz of #6 lead.

I just gotta say, would anyone really prefer being shot by bird shot over whatever grain handgun round you're using? If I see some guy pointing his 20 gauge shotgun at me I'm not going to laugh and say "you dumb shit, you're packing 7/8 oz prairie storm, that don't scare me".

I think I'd prefer to not get shot by anything above a BB gun. Hell I don't even want to be shot by one of those either.

Back to the bird hunting discussions.

I just gotta say, would anyone really prefer being shot by bird shot over whatever grain handgun round you're using? If I see some guy pointing his 20 gauge shotgun at me I'm not going to laugh and say "you dumb shit, you're packing 7/8 oz prairie storm, that don't scare me".

I think I'd prefer to not get shot by anything above a BB gun. Hell I don't even want to be shot by one of those either.

Back to the bird hunting discussions.
I've never been seriously threatened bird hunting, but I have had some strange things happen in 45 years of hunting.

I carry bear spray with my loaded 20 gauge... there are times when the dog decides to tangle with wildlife not on the menu (I still shudder hearing/seeing the dog/raccoon animal ball tumbling around in the cattails in front of me, can't really shoot at that and be effective). Bear spray also works well on humans... probably less legal difficulties than using the shot gun. Hunting WMA definitely adds the color of dealing with other humans; if you're walking up on me for a confrontation while hunting, I'm sure you've noticed I've got a shot gun... I find it interesting how many men feel they can intimidate me while I'm carrying my gun, hunting solo with my dog.

I was camping/turkey hunting at the end of dead-end road in the national forest. One afternoon a couple local greasers walked into camp. Said they were mushroom hunting, but I didn't see any bags. They said they parked up the road, that was on private ground. We chatted for a while, and it didn't take long to figure out the chattiest kid was lying about how great an outdoorsman he was. As they walked away, they both turned and looked at me. I didn't have a very good feeling about it. I had a rough time getting to sleep that night and sure enough, heard trucks coming latter. They stopped 100 yards or so away, cranked up the music and proceeded to party. After an hour or so, I stuck my pistol in the back of my pants and walked over to them. I told them, I didn't have a problem but asked them to turn down the volume. There were 6 or 8 boys and girls there, probably 10 years or so younger than I was. From the group, a voice said, who the f#%^k you think you are. I couldn't see his face, but I think it was the chatty greaser from earlier. I turned and walked away with the hair on the back of my neck standing. They left a while latter. I slept terrible, thinking they would get drunk and come back. Got up early and took off hunting. Came back to camp and everything but the tent was gone! Never camped there again.

I was camping/turkey hunting at the end of dead-end road in the national forest. One afternoon a couple local greasers walked into camp. Said they were mushroom hunting, but I didn't see any bags. They said they parked up the road, that was on private ground. We chatted for a while, and it didn't take long to figure out the chattiest kid was lying about how great an outdoorsman he was. As they walked away, they both turned and looked at me. I didn't have a very good feeling about it. I had a rough time getting to sleep that night and sure enough, heard trucks coming latter. They stopped 100 yards or so away, cranked up the music and proceeded to party. After an hour or so, I stuck my pistol in the back of my pants and walked over to them. I told them, I didn't have a problem but asked them to turn down the volume. There were 6 or 8 boys and girls there, probably 10 years or so younger than I was. From the group, a voice said, who the f#%^k you think you are. I couldn't see his face, but I think it was the chatty greaser from earlier. I turned and walked away with the hair on the back of my neck standing. They left a while latter. I slept terrible, thinking they would get drunk and come back. Got up early and took off hunting. Came back to camp and everything but the tent was gone! Never camped there again.
My wife and I camped in a similar spot one time, about 10pm the kids roll in to party. We were camped in the back of the truck and figured no big deal. Until they start puking near the truck and asking who is in there. We got up and left ASAP. Pasted the sheriff on the way out...

We were hunting tonight and got checked by the game warden. It took a minute, but I realized he's the one I'd talked to about this incident. I brought it up and he told me he and the sheriff went and talked to the individual. I think things turned out for the best. The guy neither admitted nor denied his actions, but apologized that the law had to come out and talk to him. I'm glad there's good LEO to handle these things. I think things are all cleared up now.

I own property adjacent to public hunting grounds in WI. The state and I have everything well posted.

I could have a confrontation with a trespasser/poacher nearly every day of the hunting season.

He'll, we had someone selling turkey hunts on our property thru Craigslist. Turned out to be the neighbor!

Have met pot growers (dragging arm loads of reefer), angry deer hunters, duck hunters, pheasant hunters, goose hunters, rabbit hunters and shed, mushroom and ginseng hunters too.

All walked past signs and dins't give a shit. I used to try to be nice. Not since one of them shot over my head as we were both walking away from his notification he was trespassing. Now I call sheriff.

Sorry Murph that you have had to deal with Outdoor Slobs. We are further north and never had a problem. (Deer hunters)

In many states, it is the County Sheriff's department that handles tresspass and not the game warden.

By all means, call the law if you have trespassers on your property.

Back