Weim Pup...how to start?

Titan_Up

I'm new at this guys....going to attempt to train her myself. I have a 9 week old weim....I know she is very young...I am just trying to get thoughts together on when, where and what to start with to make her a fine working bird dog?

get you a copy of joan bailey's book "how to help gundogs train themselves" i pretty sure that's the name of the book i read it before i started training my first dog it had alot of helpful info. it goes over basic obedience,yard work and intro to the gun and other things i liked it really well ,it broke it down for a novice like me to understand, and also read some of the old posts on this site about training issues,good luck.

Congrats on the new pup nothing better then watching it all come together this fall. There is nothing to be worried about training a pup yourself. My dogs have never been perfect but i'm not either. I seem to only remember so much from each book and learn from them each time I reread them. Lots of luck to you post a pic so we can see her

weim.jpg

Here's a pic of the girl pointing a leaf. Just checking out nature.

shes cute! for now, if i was you, shes already pointing which is a good sign, however, i wouldnt do any training til shes at least a year old or older. for now teach her the basic command like sit, lay down, stay and potty train her. some people push their puppies at young age to HUNT and retrieve.. and then they lose interest to hunt.

let the pup be a pup. when shes a year old, she'll be ready to be trained to hunt, if shes pointing now.. its a good sign!!!!

no pressure and you'll have an outstanding performance from her.

That is one cute pup.
I agree with Birdman let a pup be a pup. You would not get up on a horse wthout some ground work. So give the pup the basics I have hunted my dogs before a year old but that is their time to learn no pressure then I can see what we need to work on for the next season. But at this age it's just getting used to you and everyone around ya.

I agree with the above posts. I would before all else train her to come/here. That is the most important command there is. You can play fetch with her if you wish just keep it a game. when she quits don't force it, just call it a day a puppy will only play for short time. I always took mine for walks in a field. There I let my dog just run and play and get use to the idea of having fun in a field. He is 10 years old now and just today. We visited that same field and he ran and played and had a good time. A lady came by and said, "That dog is sure happy." I said "why not he is doing what he likes having fun"...........Bob

Back