Weed ID Needed...

UGUIDE

this shouldn't be too hard. There is this yellow blossom weed that is pretty much everywhere this year. kinda looks like yellow blossom sweetclover but is a little bushier and has a weedy type of stem. Gets about 3-4 feet tall.

What is it called? What types of herbicides work on it if you don't wnat to kill it in grass?

I know exactly what you are referring to, but don't know the name off the top of my head, I'll look it up and get back with information

???

I thought I knew exactly what you are referring to, but I ran across a couple of likely suspects

Birdsfoot Trefoil - Lotus corniculatus L.
"Most cultivars are erect and grow to a height of 2 to 3 feet. The stems are slender, branch well, and are moderately leafy. Leaves are smooth and consist of 5 leaflets. The bloom is made up of a cluster of bright yellow flowers arranged in a whorl at the end of the flowering stems." - plant fact sheet USDA

could be Yellow Trefoil (Trifolium dubium)

also could be yellow oxalis, but it is uncommon for it to reach 3'

can you post a pic to confirm ID?

Beaker, the Birdsfoot is close but I am sure it is not it in that the birdsfoot is a legume and this thing I am seeing has more a weedy stem with typical pointed leaves like you see on a dandly or thistle.

My PF Biologist is working on it too and he is from the area and we still haven't got it figured out.

It's not pennycress or plains coreopsis or curlycup gumweed.

I might have to break down and call ole Roy or Dwight on the farm

Kinda looks like mustard. 2-4d should kill it if it. I would keep all hunters away from your fields this fall until I can get there to hunt pheasant. I mean exam the weed properly:D

There are quite a few types/sub species of wild mustard.
I agree wild mustard is likely. An early and fast growing weed.
Chris do you have a couple close up picks?

Yep that's mustard, just pick the leaves and cook them with some bacon and onions. That won't solve your problem but it sure is good.

I would agree with the others on the mustard. We take out the yellow mustard by mowing/tri-balding. It's getting late in the season now so it may have seeded. If so we always made sure we chopped the plants up into small peices so remaining energy in the plant couldn't continue on the seeding process.

We never Herbicide the yellow mustard (but we did for garlic mustard). If we had to Herbicide, Aqua Neat (round up) worked well. In our situation mowing did the job on those guys. :) 1pheas4

Close but not the spurge. The plant we have has more leaf material around the base and leaves are wider with points on the ends.

I'll let you know if the PF biologist confimrs anything but pretty sure it is mustard.

Uguide, by what you've described it sounds like it may be Wild Parsnip. We're seeing a lot of it this year down here too. In case you don't know, don't touch it. I still have scares on my arms from a year ago. The stuff makes your skin feel like it's on fire:eek: 1Pheas4

Back