We got our trip scheduled

Bob Peters

Instead of going to SD this year, we booked a house in Canby. I've always wanted to hunt this area and did research in the past. Lots of good looking spots in the area, and we might get a SD license too and jump back and forth across the border. 10 of us going and 5 dogs. Two goldens, a chessie, a black lab and a britt. I always look forward to this trip but temper my expectations. Thankfully my buddies are starting to pick up on the fact that everyone gets more chances if we split up. Anyhow it's nice to have something to look forward to. Regardless of the results, I know I'll also spend a pile of time this coming fall alone with the dog walking the pheasant fields, swamps, thickets, and shelterbelts. I checked a local SC MN spot driving home after the 4th of July party. There were two roosters out running around on the side of the gravel road! Oh boy😃, once pheasant hunting got in my blood, I don't think it'll ever leave. So lucky to fair chase these wiley birds around from season start to season end. 20221217_145901.jpg

As Glock said you can't go wrong in that area. I probably would skip the SD license and not border hop if it were me. The MN side is just as good as the SD side there. And with 10 guys you'll have plenty of birds to bag before you limit out. If you end up shooting 20 birds in a day you'll be doing GOOD.

Now you are talking about my area. I grew up in Canby and had great pheasant hunting back in the 50's and 60's. I've lived in South Dakota for the past 45 years. 33 in Aberdeen and the last 12 in Watertown. Hunting in the Watertown area since I've been here has been quite poor with low bird numbers. Not like the hunting I had while in Aberdeen. Probably for the past 20 years I have been buying a Minnesota license because I still have a few old friends that have some private land I can hunt. Hunting the Canby area during those years has been somewhat hit and miss. There have been some really good years and some very poor years. I'm not quite sure what to expect this year. I'll have to check before the season and see what the guys are seeing. As far as buying a SD license and jumping back and forth I wouldn't waste your money unless you plan to travel 70-100 miles west of the state line. Good luck Bob, maybe we'll cross paths around Canby.

I love the area in SW Minnesota - sentimental as well, since I've done it for many years! I would agree with one of the previous posters who commented that it can be "hit and miss" through the years. I've been hunting the area for close to 30 years since I was a young kid, and some years have been very good, while others were much more challenging - usually depends on the winter that the birds had to endure, as well as what the spring conditions were like. I am crossing my fingers for a good season this year, but we'll see. There is a good amount of public land as well, which is always good when looking for some spots to hunt if you don't have access to private land. All I know is that my dog and I will be there when the season opens!

I love the area in SW Minnesota - sentimental as well, since I've done it for many years! I would agree with one of the previous posters who commented that it can be "hit and miss" through the years. I've been hunting the area for close to 30 years since I was a young kid, and some years have been very good, while others were much more challenging - usually depends on the winter that the birds had to endure, as well as what the spring conditions were like. I am crossing my fingers for a good season this year, but we'll see. There is a good amount of public land as well, which is always good when looking for some spots to hunt if you don't have access to private land. All I know is that my dog and I will be there when the season opens!
Seems like for me it’s not so much the snow but the amount of rainfall at that critical week or two right after hatching when exposure to cold but specially rain and the little buggers don’t have much of any feathering.

Instead of going to SD this year, we booked a house in Canby. I've always wanted to hunt this area and did research in the past. Lots of good looking spots in the area, and we might get a SD license too and jump back and forth across the border. 10 of us going and 5 dogs. Two goldens, a chessie, a black lab and a britt. I always look forward to this trip but temper my expectations. Thankfully my buddies are starting to pick up on the fact that everyone gets more chances if we split up. Anyhow it's nice to have something to look forward to. Regardless of the results, I know I'll also spend a pile of time this coming fall alone with the dog walking the pheasant fields, swamps, thickets, and shelterbelts. I checked a local SC MN spot driving home after the 4th of July party. There were two roosters out running around on the side of the gravel road! Oh boy😃, once pheasant hunting got in my blood, I don't think it'll ever leave. So lucky to fair chase these wiley birds around from season start to season end.

I've only found one "house" on VRBO in the Canby area, its more of a shed with some beds. Mind saying how you found a house to rent?

I've only found one "house" on VRBO in the Canby area, its more of a shed with some beds. Mind saying how you found a house to rent?
Hey, this might be that shed! I think it has a pool table and a bunch of taxidermy on the walls. I believe the beds are in their own rooms though, so thankfully I won't have to hear my buddies snore:sleep:

Back